Author Topic: New #1 Owner  (Read 4755 times)

acetsid

• Alan
New #1 Owner
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Hi everyone, just got my little guy Friday, Seasoned Saturday, Smokin some ribs today. Put them on at noon, can't wait to taste them.
Alan from Hesperia, Ca

drains

Re: New #1 Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »
Welcome from Texas! The #1 is a seriously good smoker. How about adding a first name and location to your posts. We're a pretty friendly bunch here. How did the ribs turn out?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

acetsid

• Alan
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »
Didn't set up my profile correctly. It should show up now, name is Alan from Hesperia, Ca. The ribs turned out FANTASTIC!!! A little salty because I didn't have any brown sugar for my rub. I used 2 small pieces of Apple Wood and a water/apple juice mix. So tender! I did open the door at 3 hours and then again at 5 hours. Took out at 5:20 hours. Had a taste and ate about 2 ribs before my wife reminded they were for dinner.
Alan from Hesperia, Ca

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:35:04 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Alan.   Glad to hear that your first smoke was a success!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

GarthMN

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
Welcome Alan!
Garth from Minneapolis
SI Model #1

drains

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
Congratulations on the successful rib smoke Adam. 8) 8) Were they baby back (loin), St. Louis cut or full spare ribs? If you pulled them out at 5 hours I'm guessing baby backs. I smoke my BBS 4.5 hours no peek then sauce them. Smoke another .5 hrs and done every time. Once again welcome to the forum.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »
Welcome from ND Alan and congrats on the first successful smoke! There are many more where this one came from. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

acetsid

• Alan
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
They were St Louis so it may have been a little long, they tasted great but i think they lost some moisture. I put my water container next to the wood box but I don't think the water got hot enough soon enough. The foil on the wood box was probably keeping the heat from getting to the water. That is something I haven't seen in the forum yet, how to place the water container. I used a Weber bbq "loaf" pan and it fits ok on one side of the smoke box.
Alan from Hesperia, Ca

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »
They were St Louis so it may have been a little long, they tasted great but i think they lost some moisture. I put my water container next to the wood box but I don't think the water got hot enough soon enough. The foil on the wood box was probably keeping the heat from getting to the water. That is something I haven't seen in the forum yet, how to place the water container. I used a Weber bbq "loaf" pan and it fits ok on one side of the smoke box.

Actually, for St Loius cut and full spare ribs, you would typically want to go longer. For my spares, I typically like to go 6-7 hours at 225.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
Welcome Alan from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

acetsid

• Alan
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 10:56:03 PM »
Thanks all. I will do more reading and smokin'. I am going to do chicken next so I can do a turkey on T-day. Going to Ucla-Usc game on 11/19 so I was thinking of doing the bacon wrapped jalapenos for that, they look delicious.
Alan from Hesperia, Ca

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:43 PM »
I buy the disposable aluminum loaf pans at the grocery store. I bend up the "lip" at the edge so it goes straight up, then snug it right up against the side of the wood box. You only foil the top of the wood box, so there wouldn't be any foil between your water pan and the wood box. No water pan needed for poultry. I agree with Gregg that your St Louis ribs probably went too short, not too long. They might not have been tender enough, so they seemed dry/chewy. I also go 6 to 7 hours at 225 for St. Louis. 4.5 to 5.5 for baby backs. Remember to wrap in foil and rest for at least 30 minutes when done.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

acetsid

• Alan
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 12:04:05 AM »
Thanks SconnieQ. I had too much foil over the wood box. Not sure if I can stand to have pig candy wrapped up in foil on the counter screaming my name. But I will do that next time. They were great though.
Alan from Hesperia, Ca

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »
Wrapping and resting is essential for making/keeping ribs moist. It is hard not to just dig in! I try to plan to get the ribs done 1-2 hours before mealtime. That way I can wrap in foil, then in a towel, and put them in a cooler. 1-2 hours in a cooler is what I shoot for anyway. If you do a brisket, a long wrap and rest in a cooler is even more important.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 11:03:18 PM »
Welcome Alan, and Congrats on the new smoker, and first successful smoke!  Great to have you with us!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!