Author Topic: you have got to be kiddin me? done to early AGAIN....  (Read 8944 times)

Greenenvey

Re: you have got to be kiddin me? done to early AGAIN....
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
Here's another thought. Why not try smoking your next one at 200°?
I though the same thing, the only thing that worries me is how do I time it so that it gets done on time. like for example they say at 225 its around 1.25 hours a pound.. even though that's not the case for me haha. I'm just trying to find some sort of consistency to get the brisket on the table in time, and not have to let that sucker sit 9 hours and dry out. Out of three briskets only one behaved as expected and that was the one i didn't  brine.

Well, my thought was that if you run it at 200° overnight, and then depending on where it is at in the morning increase to 225 if necessary. Pork butts can definitely take the heat of 235-250+ that some people smoke them at, but I prefer the real low/slow for brisket. So, 200-225 seems like a pretty good range especially since you are smoking overnight and do not want any middle of the night surprises.

You are still in the testing phase, and everyone's environment, meat quality, ambient temperatures, etc can influence the cook times. I have found that the best thing to working out the kinks with brisketts is to smoke a ton of them and keep really good notes. With three briskets in, you are still building a pattern. You may find that your differences when smoking in Boise could be pretty different than when smoking in Jamestown.

Oh the fun of our hobby. :)
I agree I'm still in my learning phase, the good news is i absalutly love it and am having a great time learning. I bought a nice leather bound journal and am keeping notes from every smoke so i can compare.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
So... I'm still wondering about your elevation. Are you in the mountains? What is your elevation at both locations?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
2730 feet elevation  at Boise home. 1739 in North Dakota home... quick question on  my 3 standard,  the knobest with the degrees on it is kinda weird, in between  the big setting like 225.. 250... ect. That are big and bold, it seems like the degrees settings in between them are kinda like guessing the Temps with the small lines. I hope that made sense.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
Here is a pic of how juicy  it still was a 6 hours before it went south and got dry.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

ibbones

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
Still looks like a fine meal.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

rettaps

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
I had the same problem except the opposite, i put on a 10 pounder flat at 6am on 200 degrees and figured it'll be ready at 6pm, what a surprise, took until 11pm and I took it out at 182, was an awesome midnight snack though!
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
I had the same problem except the opposite, i put on a 10 pounder flat at 6am on 200 degrees and figured it'll be ready at 6pm, what a surprise, took until 11pm and I took it out at 182, was an awesome midnight snack though!

200 is a bit low for brisket. If you think about it, you want your internal meat temp to be about 195 or so, with your box temp at 200, they are essentially the same temperature. So the meat is going to take forever to get to 195. Smoking at 225 is the most common temperature setting for brisket.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »
2730 feet elevation  at Boise home. 1739 in North Dakota home... quick question on  my 3 standard,  the knobest with the degrees on it is kinda weird, in between  the big setting like 225.. 250... ect. That are big and bold, it seems like the degrees settings in between them are kinda like guessing the Temps with the small lines. I hope that made sense.

I haven't looked closely at my knob for a while. But I remember thinking the same thing when I first got it. Like there are 2 (maybe 3?) ticks between 200 and 225, and 225 and 250, and mathematically it's not divisible in even 5 degree increments? I think it is kind of guessing/approximating. But the analog controller is not going to ever sit at an exact temperature anyway. It's going to cycle on and off, going above and below the set temp. BBQ doesn't have to be that precise so it works just fine.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »

200 is a bit low for brisket. If you think about it, you want your internal meat temp to be about 195 or so, with your box temp at 200, they are essentially the same temperature. So the meat is going to take forever to get to 195. Smoking at 225 is the most common temperature setting for brisket.

I only suggested this because her previous briskets were getting done so fast. My guess is that her smoker is running hot (some do).

So, maybe adjusting the temp dial with the following instructions is an option (assuming that it is confirmed to run hot):
http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/HeatControllerAdjustmentInstructions.pdf
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Greenenvey

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »

I only suggested this because her previous briskets were getting done so fast. My guess is that her smoker is running hot (some do).

So, maybe adjusting the temp dial with the following instructions is an option (assuming that it is confirmed to run hot):
http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/HeatControllerAdjustmentInstructions.pdf
yes I need to confirm my actual temps, but both of my fast smoked were in two different smokers, that's what I found odd, unless both are running way to hot. I'm going to check box temps with my new box probe.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 03:40:33 PM »
Smoking meat is never going to be like back of the box oven and time instructions.  All my briskets are an hour per pound or less.  I schedule the hour per pound to be done 4 hours before dinner so that I have time to make corrective measures if one decides to run long. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Greenenvey

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 04:15:19 PM »
Smoking meat is never going to be like back of the box oven and time instructions.  All my briskets are an hour per pound or less.  I schedule the hour per pound to be done 4 hours before dinner so that I have time to make corrective measures if one decides to run long.
really yours are an hour or less, so that's very similar to mine. May I ask how you do yours that produces those times?mine is at 225 brined and in the 15 pound range and not wrapped.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »
Are you subtracting a couple pounds after it being trimmed when you do your math?  I don't brine my briskets but do heavily inject them.  I also use 225 but wrap mine for the last 3 to 4 hours. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Greenenvey

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »
Yes Dave I do subtract the weight of the fat trimmed. I may have to try the wrapping method. Do you use butcher paper?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.