Author Topic: New 3D found a home  (Read 6682 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: New 3D found a home
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
Sometimes it's best to just trust the mouse, though I don't think you can go wrong as long as it still chooses a smoker from the SI website.  :)  Congrats and welcome to the family.

I started off with odds-n-ends from my deep freeze...  most of them were too small and too lean, but they were great practice.  I just took my first brisket out and it looks divine... can't wait to try it.

I, like many others, really enjoy hickory.  I'm starting to play with mixing woods though by throwing some cherry or apple in with the hickory to round out the flavor.

There are some great guides on here, so check those out if you haven't already.  The number-one thing is to be devoutly lazy...  you stick meat in, you leave it alone, you leave it alone, and then you leave it alone some more.  When the probe says it's done you finally go ahead and open the door.  :)  I stuck the brisket in at 8:00 last night and opened the door for the first time at 9:45 this morning.

I think the truth is that it's going to be hard to choose a 'wrong' wood... you might be able to choose a 'best' wood (still subjective), but you can't really go wrong.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply Larry,
Look forward to hear how the brisket turned out. Did you put the rub on the night before?
Brisket is really what I have been wanting but people don't recommend for first couple of smoke.
I have been looking at a couple of websites to buy wood. Wanna stay away from the big box stores.
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply Larry,
Look forward to hear how the brisket turned out. Did you put the rub on the night before?
Brisket is really what I have been wanting but people don't recommend for first couple of smoke.
I have been looking at a couple of websites to buy wood. Wanna stay away from the big box stores.

Smokinlicious.com is the best place to buy wood. Get the double filet, 3-variety pack. My favorites are hickory, cherry, maple and red oak. That's a good place to start. If you like apple or other fruitwoods, you will need to order that elsewhere, like fruitawood.com, but you might want to start with the smokinlicious, then decide if you need something else.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »

I have another forum thread going on it...  I still have a little while before I unwrap it.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Kari. Gonna go with your double filet suggestion.
Court
Phoenix, AZ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »
Sounds like a plan, Court!  Can't go wrong with picking it up from Steve, and also can't go wrong with some smokinlicious wood!  You'll be off to a great start!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »
Well I took the advice given and purchased a double filet from Smokalicious. I am very impressed:
1) Great product and presentation
2) They understand customer service and the needs of their clients
3) Price was reasonable and shipped promptly
4) The "filets" seem to be perfect size

I as well would highly recommend to anyone. 40 bucks and I have wood that will last for a minimum of a year.

P.S. Smoker update.......My smoker should be here on the 30th. All this knowledge (thanks to you all) and can't put it to use is killing me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:28:15 AM by Airchair »
Court
Phoenix, AZ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »
You're hooked-up like a tow truck, Court!  Now hurry up and get to smoking something for us! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »
Has it got there yet???? :P
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
Hello Dale,
Unfortunately I am patiently waiting till Dec. 30. A family member is picking it up from the warehouse that winters in Phoenix area. Its driving me crazy but well worth the wait

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ

TexasSMK

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »
Welcome Court!  Great choice and smokers, look forward to seeing your great smokes in the future
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber