Author Topic: Spatchcocked chicken  (Read 3586 times)

MacSmokin

Spatchcocked chicken
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
Hey everyone. Not sure if this is posted in the right place but I just was hoping for some suggestions. I smoked a whole chicken last night. 6lbs . I used 2.5oz of hickory and threw a charcoal bricket in there to see if it would make a smoke ring. I lined the bottom of the fire box with foil. Brined chicken for 8 hours and seasoned the skin just before I put it on. Came out perfectly cooked 165 in the breast. Super juicy but the meat didn't have a strong smoky flavor like I prefer. Skin was definitely good and smoked but not crispy. Question, is the skin blocking smoke to the meat? Crispy skin is good but not needed for me. I did air dry for 8 hours prior. Should I just use more wood. No pink ring either
Justin from New Hampshire
Smokin-it 3D

Grampy

Re: Spatchcocked chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
Justin, I spatchcock and smoke chickens all the time in my #2. First off, the skin is not blocking the smoke from getting to your meat. You are never going to get crispy skin in these smokers unless you take them off the smoker and put them in a broiler or on the grill to crisp it up. The temp simply does not get up high enough to render the fat out of the skin and the smoker is so well insulated it helps to keep in moisture. If you like a stronger flavor of smoke, I would bump up the amount of wood you use to 3 oz and see how you like that. If it is still not to your liking add a little more the next time. Keep experimenting until you reach the level of smoke flavor you like. Smoke flavor is very subjective and varies from person to person. Word of warning though, there is a fine line between having good smoke flavor and going over board and having a very acrid and bitter tasting piece of meat. Increase the amount of wood you use in very small increments (like 1/2 ozs) until you hit upon the profile you like the best.   
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

MacSmokin

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
Thanks Jimmy. I'll try 3oz next time. Skin definitely isn't a big deal for me. Good to know it's not disrupting my smokiness :)
Smokin-it 3D

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
Thanks Jimmy. I'll try 3oz next time. Skin definitely isn't a big deal for me. Good to know it's not disrupting my smokiness :)

For most on here the dog or the trash gets the skin when we smoke chicken ;D Some people do remove the skin prior to smoking but in my opinion the skin helps retain moisture in the meat and I just pull off the skin prior to eating the chicken.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »
Leave the skin on. Feed it to the dog (after you've gnawed off any little bits you want). Add more wood if you want more smoke in the flesh. Surprisingly, of all of the things I smoke, chicken and turkey are the ones that most people are impressed with. Why? Because most people cook chicken and turkey TO DEATH in their own home ovens. If you cook to the right temp, it will be SO moist, and you will be a star.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Oh great, now I have to get a dog....  :D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ibbones

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »
Oh great, now I have to get a dog....  :D
That made me LOL ;D
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
Hey Justin, chicken is SO good in the SI!  I agree with Jimmy - add wood, a little at a time, until it's right for you.  Curious... have you ever tried brining a chicken?  It takes it to a whole new level!  Easy to do, and is well-worth the effort.  Here's what I use:

DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MacSmokin

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:23:10 PM »
Hey Tony,

I absolutely can't eat chicken or turkey unless it's been brined :)
Smokin-it 3D