Author Topic: No peek baby backs were dry  (Read 5090 times)

MacSmokin

No peek baby backs were dry
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Only the second smoke on the 3D . I threw together a simple blk pepper, kosher salt, sugar rub. And put that onto the ribs with yellow mustard. Apple juice on bottom rack, ribs on top. 235 for just under 6 hours because I wanted fall off the bone ribs and the were dry and definite not close to fall of the bone. I used 2.6 oz total of apple and cherry wood. Any ideas on what went wrong. Thought the no look works every time ?
Justin from New Hampshire
Smokin-it 3D

drains

Re: No peek baby backs were dry
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:48:25 PM »
Ribs were the one meat I had to "dial in" on when I got my #3 and I think it was probably the third try before I got it right. For baby backs I check them at 4 1/2 hours and usually sauce them at that time. Then another 30 minutes and I pull them and let them rest for 30 minutes or so, kind of dependent on how hungry the folks are. I use the no peek method and I don't wrap. I have had great success using this method. Ribs like any meat can be fickle at times so start checking at 4 1/2 hrs and if you have a good bit of pull back of the bones then that's a sign they may be ready to pull out. You can take a toothpick and stick it between the bones and if it is really tender that's another good sign. It just takes practice so don't be too disappointed that they weren't as good as you had imagined. I have two slabs of full spares in my #3 right now and they will take at least six hours but they are way bigger than baby backs. They may even take seven hours. Ill just have to wait and see. Good luck and keep trying and you'll see what I mean.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:21:56 AM »
Only the second smoke on the 3D . I threw together a simple blk pepper, kosher salt, sugar rub. And put that onto the ribs with yellow mustard. Apple juice on bottom rack, ribs on top. 235 for just under 6 hours because I wanted fall off the bone ribs and the were dry and definite not close to fall of the bone. I used 2.6 oz total of apple and cherry wood. Any ideas on what went wrong. Thought the no look works every time ?

6 hours at 235 sounds a bit long to me for baby backs. At 235, you'll want to check at 4 or 4-1/2 hours. I always smoke my baby backs at 225, and they seem ready to come out of the smoker, wrap and rest at around 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours. Also, you should put your apple juice (water is fine too) in a disposable aluminum loaf pan, and put in on the floor of the smoker, tucked right up against the side of the wood box. You probably did not create much moisture by having it on a rack. Also, keep in mind that meat is an agricultural product, and animals vary. Every now and then you might get some ribs that are just not as good.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

MacSmokin

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »
Thanks for the tips Dale and Kari. I like ribs when I can pretty much pull the bone out. The first rack came out amazing. I let the rub sit over night on those. I also cut the rack on half, this one I kept whole. Not sure if that would make a difference. Regarding the liquid. I'm using the container that hangs from a shelf that was shipped with the smoker. I hung it from the bottom shelf and it was practically touching the fire box. Maybe a third or less of the liquid evaporated
Smokin-it 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
Justin, that's what makes this so challenging (even with our "Lazy Q" advantage)!  BBQ is, by nature of so many factors, unpredictable!  We come up with guidelines, but they are just that; guidelines!  Every piece of meat has it's own agenda, and no matter how "exact" we want to be, it sometimes says otherwise! 

Now, I agree with Kari, that 6 hours was too long, at 235, for baby backs.  But, the fact they weren't done to pull easily from the bone, surprises me.  Which, leads me to believe it may not have been your technique, but more the ribs themselves.  It's hard to gauge one smoke's results as "the way it is."  Unfortunately, meat is made by animals, and sometimes their quality control sucks! ;)   

Check your source for ribs, and maybe try another time.  Try 225, with a water pan on the floor next to the smoke box, and start checking sooner.  Experimentation, my friend, will get you "dialed-in" in no time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:49:34 PM »
225 for baby backs, each smoker is its own beast.  Depending on how "thin" the ribs were check at an earlier time.

Not all cuts or called cuts of meat are the same.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

MacSmokin

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I brought about 8 racks from walmart the other day so I still have plenty of experimenting to do, much to the wife's dismay haha. Also got a 13 lb packer. Last time a put a slab on and decided to try competition style, 3,2,1 at 225 , trigg recipe. I probably uses .5 oz too much hickory but smoke seemed good. Thet we're not biting clean off the bone after a 2 hour wrap. Flavor was awesome though. Used applewood rub. Should I reduce the smoking period to 2hours and the wrap to 3? Or just increase the wrap. Also would increasing the temp help or hurt?
Smokin-it 3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I brought about 8 racks from walmart the other day so I still have plenty of experimenting to do, much to the wife's dismay haha. Also got a 13 lb packer. Last time a put a slab on and decided to try competition style, 3,2,1 at 225 , trigg recipe. I probably uses .5 oz too much hickory but smoke seemed good. Thet we're not biting clean off the bone after a 2 hour wrap. Flavor was awesome though. Used applewood rub. Should I reduce the smoking period to 2hours and the wrap to 3? Or just increase the wrap. Also would increasing the temp help or hurt?

I would keep the 3 hour smoke, and try increasing the wrap time to 3 hours, so 3,3,1. I'd keep the temp at 225 and see how they come out. If they are still not tender enough for you, then try 235 next time. But tenderness is really more controlled by time than temperature. It's best to only change one variable at a time. Sounds like you've got plenty of ribs to experiment with.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
When you wrap the ribs you could put some liquid in the foil with the ribs and that will help tenderize them a bit. Apple juice or cider or some beer and I have even heard of dr. Pepper or a favorite soft drink being used. Its worth a try.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
When you wrap the ribs you could put some liquid in the foil with the ribs and that will help tenderize them a bit. Apple juice or cider or some beer and I have even heard of dr. Pepper or a favorite soft drink being used. Its worth a try.

Acidic liquids like apple cider vinegar help tenderize meat. Use a little splash diluted down with water or apple juice in your foil wrap.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »
MacSmokin, I've tried the no peek a number of times because of the raves that others with success have made with that technique.  Even with shorter cook times I think the results are too dry for my liking.  I keep going back to my wrap at 3.5 hours and cook for an additional hour after wrap to get the ribs that I like.  Keep trying different methods and you will eventually land on what makes YOU happy. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
MacSmokin, I've tried the no peek a number of times because of the raves that others with success have made with that technique.  Even with shorter cook times I think the results are too dry for my liking.  I keep going back to my wrap at 3.5 hours and cook for an additional hour after wrap to get the ribs that I like.  Keep trying different methods and you will eventually land on what makes YOU happy.

+1

Rib preferences are very subjective; so it is important to try several different processes until you find the one that provides the best results based on your preferences.

Personally, I am a no peak guy and my preference is for St Louis cut ribs smoked at 225 for 6-7 hours. My ribs are always very moist and have a great chewy bark that you won't get with foiling.

Test and smoke on my friend!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.