Author Topic: Is this a good plan?  (Read 4670 times)

James R Brown

Is this a good plan?
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »
I'll be performing my second smoke on Saturday which will feature pork ribs and a 3lb mock tender beef roast. I'm a greenhorn and have questions about different meats that call for different temps and cook times. I see the ribs call for 6-7 hrs. at 235 and the roast calls for 2-3 hrs. at 200. Also, ribs call for 2.5 to 3 oz. of wood and the roast calls for 4-5 oz. Here is my plan: I want to eat at 5:00 so I'll put the meat in at 9:00 am with 3.5 oz. of wood and remove the roast about 3hrs. later when done and wrap and store/rest until time to sear. I plan on having the door open as briefly as possible and then let the ribs continue for another 4 hrs. I have the ribs marinating in mixture of two quarts of apple juice mixed with about a cup of claudes brisket marinade. Tomorrow night I'll take them out of the marinade and coat them with mustard and rub. For the roast, tomorrow night I'll inject it with a mixture of beef broth and claudes and some spices and then coat with mustard and rub. Does this sound like a good plan? Also, I know the meat should be as high in the smoker as possible and I'll be using the upper two racks, which should go on top, ribs or roast? Sorry for the long post but I have people coming and don't want this $45 worth of meat to be as good as possible.

Thanks, Rick
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Is this a good plan?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »
Rick,

Please don't attempt to smoke those together, or disaster will be in your future (sad to say).  If you run that roast at 235, it will be overcooked and tough.  I'm not sure what a "mock tender roast" is, but it's only 3 lbs (remember my steak comment ;) ).  If it's a sirloin, it will probably end up gray. 

What kind of ribs?  Baby back, or spares?  Back ribs should only take 4.5-6 hours (depending on your taste for doneness), whereas spares will take 6-7 hours.  Seeing you want to eat at 5, I would put the ribs on early enough to be done .5 - 1 hour before dinner time, then wrap them in foil and rest them in the cooler until dinner.  I would probably smoke the small roast before the ribs, at 200, until it reaches 128-130 internal temp, then double-wrap in foil and put in the fridge.  I would reheat the roast, unwrapped on rack in a pan, in a 200° oven, until the internal temp gets back to 130.  Then, remove it and let it rest while the oven gets up as high as it will go.  Once the oven is on high, reverse-sear it for 5-8 minutes.  The ribs should be resting in the cooler, so all you need to do now is slice the roast and the ribs, and serve!

It is VERY hard to smoke two things that are SO dissimilar, at the same time, and have good luck.  Things that smoke at the same temp, like maybe butts and briskets, have a greater chance of success; your two choices do not.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

James R Brown

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed. I'll definitely follow your advice. The ribs are spare ribs. So, I'll smoke the roast first. The mock tender cut is popular in the grocery stores around here and is similar to eye of round. Sounds like I better start the roast about 7:00 am then. Thanks again.
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »
Eye of round is very lean, so it will benefit from the 200° low and slow!  Definitely wouldn't want to do that one at 235!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

James R Brown

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »
I added some skinless chicken breasts to the mix and proceeded like this: Roast went in at 7:00 at 200 and chicken went into brine pot at this time. Roast should be done and pulled around 10:00 at which time the ribs and chicken will go in with smoker set to 235 with 2.5 oz. of wood with probe in largest breast. I know the chicken calls for 250 but I'm hoping at the lower temp they will finish at or near 4:00 to 5:00 with the ribs. I will probably open the door when the breasts hit 165 and check the ribs. I'm using a mixture of hickory and cherry.
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »
Eye of round is very lean, so it will benefit from the 200° low and slow!  Definitely wouldn't want to do that one at 235!
+1
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

James R Brown

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »
Roast took about 2.5 hrs. to hit 130, pulled it out wrapped it and into the cooler. Put in breasts and ribs and stuck probe in largest breast and started some yard work. Checked remote after 55 minutes and probe read 174! That took me by surprise, so pulled them and wrapped them up. This was with dial set at 235. Ribs are still in and I guess I'll leave them in until 4:30, which will be 6.5 hrs. and check them then. The breasts are skinless/boneless, maybe that's why they finished so fast?
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 03:00:30 AM »
Roast took about 2.5 hrs. to hit 130, pulled it out wrapped it and into the cooler. Put in breasts and ribs and stuck probe in largest breast and started some yard work. Checked remote after 55 minutes and probe read 174! That took me by surprise, so pulled them and wrapped them up. This was with dial set at 235. Ribs are still in and I guess I'll leave them in until 4:30, which will be 6.5 hrs. and check them then. The breasts are skinless/boneless, maybe that's why they finished so fast?

Boneless skinless chicken breasts will cook much faster than ribs. You already were set up for a difficult smoke, with the medium rare beef roast, and ribs, being so different. Then decide to throw some chicken breasts into the mix! A third, totally different smoke. You are much braver than I. :o How did it all turn out?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:04:48 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

James R Brown

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »
I certainly did complicate things, but everything turned out great. Fed 12 people and everyone was highly complimentary. The ribs and chicken were the biggest hit. The roast was good, but by the time I moved it  from the cooler to the oven I was at least 6 beers into it, and left it in the 200 degree oven too long prior to the sear, so it was over done, but still good. If I were to do it again I'd be aware that the breasts cook fast and will only take about 50 minutes, and not to leave the roast in the oven too long prior to searing. The chicken was extremely moist with just the right amount of smoke and the ribs were fall off the bone fantastic. Thank you to those who helped guide me through my first smoke for a small crowd of people.
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

Sodaking27

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. That was quite the menu of smoked meats.
Don from Maryland.
Saving my pennies for a 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
Man, Rick, as they say..."Go big, or go home!"  I would never have attempted that smoke, so hats-off to you!  You have definitely earned your merit badge for most different meats smoked at one time!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

James R Brown

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:56:34 PM »
Cmon guys, it wasn't that big of a deal. Roast was solo and if I knew before hand that the chicken breasts would only take 55 minutes I would have cooked them solo too and then solo'd the ribs. But, I had to open the door 55 minutes into the ribs/chicken smoke before finishing the ribs. But I don't think I'll be doing three different kind of meats again though. I'm still a greenhorn but it's fun learning and I greatly appreciate all the help here. Oh yea, on a scale of 1 to 10 my Sunday hangover was a 7. Ouch!
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »
You still get a merit badge, Rick. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas