Author Topic: Checking Maverick Probe Accuracy  (Read 2789 times)

AlinMA

• Al
Checking Maverick Probe Accuracy
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »
After about 1 1/2 years my probes started reading via the ice water test +5 in port 1 and +7 in port 2. For consistency I always place my probes in the same ports although not always using both of them.
I found these waterproof probes on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVQHTUQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
After I received them I checked them again using Ice Water. They were outside of the accuracy range for the ET-733. Thinking that I may have a problem with the transmitter I called Maverick and explained what I was experiencing and the first thing that the Customer Rep. told me was that the Ice Water test was not the most accurate method for checking the probes. Maverick uses boiling water preferably adjusted using Barometric pressure and or Altitude. I found the following calculator on line.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html
Using both pressure and altitude I ran the tests and both of the new probes read 112 degrees. I then used this method to check the old probes and they both were with in the accuracy range for the 733. (port 1 was 111 and port 2 was 113) close enough for what we do. As the saying goes....your never too old to learn some thing new.
This may be old news for some but I thought I'd share it.
As an aside Maverick will sell just a transmitter.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:03:23 AM by AlinMA »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Checking Maverick Probe Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
I've done both, and really thought it was "6 of one, half-dozen of the other," so that's good info, Al.  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:42 AM »
I've always done both tests, but rely more on the boiling water test, because 212 degrees is closer to my finished meat temp (the temp that counts) than 32 degrees. So I'm most interested in the accuracy at the upper end. According to the calculator, the boiling point of water for Madison WI right now is 210.689 (if I did that right).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
I've done both, and really thought it was "6 of one, half-dozen of the other," so that's good info, Al.  Thanks!
Same with me. I always used ice water because it was easier.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »
I've always done both tests, but rely more on the boiling water test, because 212 degrees is closer to my finished meat temp (the temp that counts) than 32 degrees. So I'm most interested in the accuracy at the upper end. According to the calculator, the boiling point of water for Madison WI right now is 210.689 (if I did that right).
I used this site to get the elevation for Madison, WI.......
http://www.usclimatedata.com/map.php?location=USWI0411
And came up with 210.471 so your in the ball park. I did notice that other sites had different values for elevation. I used the Weatherbug App on my phone set to my location and it gives the Barometric Pressure adjusted for the weather conditions in real time. If you use the current pressure it will give you the most accurate measurement.

Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs