Author Topic: Half and half experiment with eye of round  (Read 2542 times)

ARmike

Half and half experiment with eye of round
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
Hey all.  First my wife (she who must be obeyed) doesnt like smoked meat all that much, well none actually.  So I bought this 9lb eye of round and looked at the rib roast posts and such.  So I overnighted it in the fridge in wrap and put is smoker with rub at 200.  It got to 128 in 3.25 hrs.  Wrapped into cooler then into 500d oven.  Well wife was not too excited about the amount of smoke that was created in the oven.  Had to open windows the works...we will live. 

Experiment part.  This thing is about 16 inches long so I foil wrapped about 1/3 of an end and tied it tight(double wrapped the string to keep out the smoke from one end.  Did remove the cap foil when searing it.  Temp maxed out after searing at 132.

First pic of my setup it is under a canope. Second eye of round after sear. Third sliced smoked end then sliced foiled end.  The experiment was a success and my wife is happy with the foiled end.  Wish I would have taken a pic of that.  Very good eats.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:34:35 PM by ARmike »
Mike from Mountain Home, AR
Love to cook for my wife(empty nest), kids
Live to dive, Dive to live (scuba)
#2, weber kettle, char-broil infrared three burner. Oh, two burner on pontoon(gas)
Woo Pig Soooie

ibbones

Re: Half and half experiment with eye of round
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:28:42 PM »
Mike, that looks like total goodness.  My SWMBO is like yours as not too much smoke.  I bet she will like that.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »
Meat looks great, wife might not like how the siding looks after a few cooks.

Be careful tucking the SI in that corner!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

ARmike

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:53:39 AM »
Its the best place for the wind/tornado producing thunderstorms we get in Arkansas.  It is really about 2ft from the wall. 
Mike from Mountain Home, AR
Love to cook for my wife(empty nest), kids
Live to dive, Dive to live (scuba)
#2, weber kettle, char-broil infrared three burner. Oh, two burner on pontoon(gas)
Woo Pig Soooie

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »
Mike, looks fantastic!  I just love med-rare, 200° low and slow, beef!!  And, don't worry - your smoker location is fine.  I keep mine even closer to the vinyl siding, with no issues.  They just don't get hot enough on the outside to cause any problems!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
FYI, cured eye of round makes great pastrami. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah