Author Topic: Been away for a while. Have an Auber on the way for the #2  (Read 2853 times)

va_rider

Been away for a while. Have an Auber on the way for the #2
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:29:41 AM »
Hey folks, It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I've not been smoking much lately because I've been upset with huge temperature swings on my #2. It takes forever to bust through a 185 degree stall on a brisket when the temp is swinging from 170 to 225. So, I decided to go with an Auber to "fix" the problem.  I ordered direct from Auber as they're not available through Steve right now, so hopefully it'll be in at some point this week. I have a brisket thawing in the fridge for the inaugural smoke with the Auber, and a 10lb pork belly coming in Tuesday for some fresh bacon to go on.

I've been reading through the Auber tips and tricks as far as setup, disabling the in-box temp probe, etc. I'm sure I'll have questions, but I'm looking forward to falling in love with the #2 all over again.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Been away for a while. Have an Auber on the way for the #2
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »
The Auber addition is great. Congrats on your purchase. The Auber will really add to your cabability to program your smokes and make your Lazy-Q style of smoking even more "Lazy".

That being said, the last thing I would want to do is "push" through the stall! That is where all the magic happens. I doubt that the temp swings are what was causing the stalls. Stalls just happen and can last for several hours even with an Auber.

I would recommend embracing the stall and starting your smoke earlier than you have been if your smokes are not getting done on time.

My 2 cents.

Good luck with your new Auber!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
I really don't try to "push" through the stall per se. But, I think with the large swings, the stall is prolonged more than it should be, resulting in liquid loss. I started wrapping my pork butts when they hit the stall, because I was getting 5-6 hour stalls on a 8-9lb pork butt. The result was a much shorter stall, and much juicer meat.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
Let us know if you need help, Aaron.  Good to see you again!  BTW, if you didn't order the wall-mount probe, I can't recommend it enough!  Well-worth the effort to install it. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:24:36 AM »
I really don't try to "push" through the stall per se. But, I think with the large swings, the stall is prolonged more than it should be, resulting in liquid loss. I started wrapping my pork butts when they hit the stall, because I was getting 5-6 hour stalls on a 8-9lb pork butt. The result was a much shorter stall, and much juicer meat.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I think you'll really like the Auber especially if you add the wall mounted probe..

I am looking forward to your update and really hope that it smooth things out in your results.

BTW, it is definitely good to have you back posting.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.