Author Topic: Equilibrium Brine Calculations  (Read 7976 times)

Hex23

Equilibrium Brine Calculations
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:36:02 PM »
Just wanting to make sure I understand equilibrium brining, because I see what appear to be different interpretations of the stated salt/sugar amount.

I am making beef jerky and using these posts for some general direction:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1503.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4626.0

If I understand the whole concept correctly, the percent salt will be determined by taking the weight of salt and dividing it by the total mass of meat and solutions.  Keeping it simple ... if I had 500 g of meat, added 10 g salt and 490 g water, the total salt would be 1%, and that's what the meat will have upon reaching equilibrium.  But the way I see the data being entered in some posts, only the weight of the meat is being considered.  E.g. In Tony's recipe it says 73 g sugar and 3631 g of meat to target 2% sugar.  73/3631 is about 2%.  But when you add an equal amount of water the total would be 1%.  What's going on here?  Is it really 1% that was the target.

I see that Gregor's spreadsheet seems to recognize this and indicates the actual % salt and sugar in the meat.

Is it simply that you know you really want 1 % sugar and just double the percent, knowing that you'll be adding equal parts water?  In other words, how is Martin's calculator supposed to work?

One practical aspect of getting this right is that it seems like it could also affect the curing rate.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:42:13 PM by Hex23 »
Aaron from far northern Illinois
SI 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Equilibrium Brine Calculations
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
Aaron,

Good questions, and hopefully Martin will jump in - he's the resident expert!  First of all, instead of referencing just my first brined jerky post, look to this one for the adjusted numbers that I now use:

Brined Jerky Part 2

Now, the way I keep the calculation straight is that the percentage you are adding is really just a number that will be in the water weight.  So, if I have 3000 g of meat, and 3000 g of solution, I am adding 1.5% salt to the solution, to achieve the taste I want.  You are correct that the point of the equilibrium brine is that the meat and solution will "merge," and essentially become one unit, equally dividing the solutionThis is achievable with jerky strips because of the thickness, but would take a very long time with larger cuts of meat (like a ham).

The percentage of salt and sugar you add is a "starting point," that may or may not change, after your first attempt.  I mean, who talks in percentages?  "Yes, waiter, I'd like the fish with 1.5% sodium, please.."  Might get a funny look. ;)   So the only way to approach an EQ brine is to try a proven recipe, and adjust accordingly.

What you will find is the ability to get very consistent results!  I use Martin's calculator, and Gregor's too.  Whichever one you use, always use the same one, when making adjustments.  Whether it shows the percentage in 1/2 the weight, or in all the weight, it will always give you the same results when you modify.  Kind of like weighing yourself on the same bathroom scale...it may be off a few pounds, but it will be off the same, every time!

This is a good question, and one I had never really thought about!  I just keep it simple, and know that the calculations I use for my jerky (using Martin's calculator) work fantastic!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hex23

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  That makes sense.  I guess as long as we understand the convention being used, we can interpret "typical" or starting point numbers.  I may not ask a waiter for a 1.5% brine, but I do often see things online mentioning typical brine percentages and things like "meat begins to taste overly salty above 1%".  In that case I assume they're talking about total salt in the meat.

I am still a little concerned about the curing salts being in the right proportion.  E.g.  If the minimum recommended is 120 PPM and I actually get 60 PPM would that be a problem?  On the other hand, I can't imagine dry brining is all that repeatable.  And Morton's instructions for wet brining don't look all that repeatable either.  With the large amounts of TQ and timed brine it doesn't really sound like an equilibrium brine.
SI 3D

Hex23

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »
So the only way to approach an EQ brine is to try a proven recipe, and adjust accordingly.

That's pretty much what I did by starting with your recipe :)  OK, I did change things a little bit :)  We'll see if my subbing in Tender Quick worked out OK.

Here's what I've got going (48 hours now)

1379 g (3.04 lbs) sliced eye of round
19.3 g Tender Quick
2 g table salt
34 g brown sugar
1/3 c low sodium soy
1/3 c Worchestershire
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp Cinnamon - asked my daughter what else she thought it needed, she said cinnamon, I said what the hey!
Topped off with water to 6.08 lbs.
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
Without spending a lot of time on calculations, I don't think I can address the substitution of TQ for #1 cure.  At first glance, it seems it's a very low amount of cure (given the percentage of sugar, salt and nitrates, also in TQ.  #1 is used for brines, because it is nitrite (which is the pure form of nitrates, stronger, and more effective in a brine).  #2 curing salt is used to dry cure (the term "dry brine" is common, but is incorrect; a "brine" is liquid).  Nitrates convert to nitrites slower.

Let us know how it turns out, but I would recommend keeping this batch refrigerated, as I can't vouch for the amount of cure that is occurring.

When using a brine for curing, there is no substitute for #1 Instacure (or "Prague powder").
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:58:04 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Hex23

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 08:43:19 AM »
Let us know how it turns out, but I would recommend keeping this batch refrigerated, as I can't vouch for the amount of cure that is occurring.

Will do.  I will keep it refrigerated given the uncertainty in curing from both topics (TQ sub and Equilibrium calculations), but it will go pretty fast in my house.  We were on a family vacation in TN and bought some jerky.  My 13 year old son has been eating like a horse lately and polished that off in no time - thus why I'm making some.  Since this will only yield 1 to 1.5 lbs it'll be gone in no time.
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »
Yeah, you'll be fine, Aaron!  That wouldn't last long around my house either! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

Hex23

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »
Smoked and dried this last night and had some today.  I am pretty happy with it, but definitely want to make adjustments.  It has what I think most people would call a good amount salt, but being a salt junky I'd definitely add more.  And, like you said in your adjustments, Tony, I'll think I'll get it by upping the soy sauce.  It is also a bit too dry/leathery.  Next time I'll back off on the smoke time.

I started it last night at 9:30, setting the temp to 145F for 9 hours with 1.5 oz hickory.  I put the jerky drier on after 90 minutes of smoke.  I took it out at 6:15, so it had about 9 hours.
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
Aaron, try 2 hours of smoke at 140, then add the jerky fan (leaving 140).  It will not take 9 hours, and will not be as dry as 9 hours of 145.  Try what is proven, then adjust from there.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Hex23

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Aaron, try 2 hours of smoke at 140, then add the jerky fan (leaving 140).  It will not take 9 hours, and will not be as dry as 9 hours of 145.  Try what is proven, then adjust from there.

Second try turned out much closer to what I like.  Based on my understanding of equilibrium brining, I approximately doubled the salt percentage from last time and brought the Nitrite to a full 156 PPM, this time with Cure #1.  Left everything else in about the same proportions.  I know this salt percent might be high for some tastes, but it tastes about the same saltiness as some good commercial jerky.  By my calculations my salt usage is similar (though that requires some guesses as to how much dehydration the commercial variety gets).  Assuming they got a 2:1 weight reduction, they started with 2.5% salt.

I followed your directions on the smoke and checked it every hour past 4 hours.  It took just over 8 hours to reach the dryness I wanted, compared to the 9 before.  Though, this time I think I sliced it a tad thicker than before.  In any case, it's got a perfect amount of chew.  Thanks for the help!

PS - when I made this it was well below freezing outside.  I feared that with the dryer on it would have trouble with temperature regulation.  Not at all!  It was 140 +/- 2 the whole way (except for when I opened the door to check!)
SI 3D