Author Topic: Do I want the 4D  (Read 3874 times)

Blindluck

Do I want the 4D
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »
I have an opportunity to buy a used 4D, but also interested in a 3D. I'm wondering if you get a more even cook in the 4, being that you can keep the meats further from the heat source and possibly having to rotate racks? Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Do I want the 4D
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
I'm thinking that the performance of the 4D will be on par with the other smokers performance.  It has a larger element for the larger cavity/capacity. As with any smoker, meat closest to the heat source will naturally receive the most heat initially, but it does even out over time. Same as in a house oven with multiple trays of cookies baking. Just monitor the large pieces of meat (brisket, butts) with multiple temp probes and remove as they reach the desired temp. Not much of an issue with food like ribs.

If the unit is used, what does the current owner have to say?  And why is he selling?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:12:25 PM »
If it's a 4D, with the integrated controller (not a 4 with the separate Auber PID), and the price is right, I'd jump at it!  The 3D is fantastic, but the 4 will give you more capacity, if it's the same price or less!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »
As a 4 owner, I think that the extra air space in a 4 anything is an advantage over the other models. I know specifically that most of the other models will hiccup with drip pans in the smoker. Not with a model 4.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 05:29:20 PM »
Seriously or are you Trolling us? Why would you not buy a #4 if it is near the price of a #3.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Blindluck

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »
The #4 was for sale on Craigslist only used once for $1400 I passed on it and is no longer available.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:07:14 PM »
The #4 was for sale on Craigslist only used once for $1400 I passed on it and is no longer available.

"He who hesitates is lost."  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Sorry, all out of cliches. :(   Go for the 3D...you'll be happy as a clam!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!