Author Topic: Wagyu Sirloin  (Read 8588 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Wagyu Sirloin
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »
Last week, I saw some Kobe Beef Sirloin at my local grocery.  I'm thinking about picking some up this morning and throwing it in the sous vide bath for tonight's meal. What temp and how long should I cook for a nice beautiful pink inside?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Durangosmoker

Re: Wagyu Sirloin
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »
Great Minds... I, too, am thinking of a sous vide sirloin for dinner tonight (although mine is not a fancy Japanese kind).  I'm thinking 4 hours at 130, then searing it either in a pan or on a charcoal grill if it doesn't rain. This will be my first sous vide steak, so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:11:26 PM »
It'll be my first sous vide steak also.

I see that RG cooked his ribeyes at 124 but not sure for how long.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
Having done a search on this forum for sirloin steaks,I see that people do them at 130 for 8 hours.  That is too long for me tonight, even though I tend to eat sort of late, but I just put mine in the bath, and figure it can get 7 hours and then a sear. 
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Limey

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
I thought that the whole point of Kobe beef was that it was incredibly tender. If so, why not just grill it? Am I missing something?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »
I find 2 hours at 129, then a hot reverse-sear on the searing station of my grill is perfect!  It retains the great texture of a grilled steak, but is perfectly cooked from edge to edge.  Anything more than that will make an already tender cut mushy.

You're right about Kobe, Roger, but the SV method gives you that perfect pink evenness all the way through.  I can grill a steak pretty darn good, but there's always going to be that overcooked to perfectly-cooked gradient.  I do them both ways, but more and more prefer the SV method, now that I have it dialed-in!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
Thanks Tony. I'll give it a try.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:27:08 PM »
Well, I'll have to wait till hopefully, next week. They were out of the wagyu. I sufficed for burgers on the gasser!!!
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 12:13:07 AM »
For wagyu, or a good quality UDSA ribeye, I like to go with the 2 hour at 129, then sear. I've had wagyu sirloin, and it's pretty tender. No need for the longer tenderizing at 130/131. What I like about sous vide with a quick sear is the consistent color/doneness from edge to edge. When you grill alone, you will get a perfect color in the middle (assuming you nail it perfectly), then that ring of overcooked/gray meat, then the seared edge. The gray meat to me is a loss. With sous vide, the color is perfect every time. If you know what temperature to set, you can't over or under cook it. It's just a foolproof method of cooking (just like our smokers!!). A quick, very hot sear is key to keeping it from developing any gray ring.

"Kobe" beef by the way must be born and raised in Hyogo Prefecture from a specific strain of waygu. Then there's that whole feeding beer and massage thing. There are a lot of loose uses of the word Kobe. Wagyu from Kobe is not even the best wagyu in Japan. Wagyu can be raised just about anywhere, and can even be crossed with American beef and still called wagyu (although I don't know the legality of that...but stores do it anyway). So you just never know. Mostly it's best to just look at the marbling, and if it looks like a lot of fine spiderwebs of fat running through the meat, it's going to be tender and flavorful wagyu. My local market sells wagyu, (usually on sale for about $12-15/pound for sirloin) and you can tell just by looking at it that it is not your average steak.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:15:08 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
The differences between Wagyu and true Kobe are probably splitting hairs, for the true connoisseurs.  I had the chance to eat a steak at a real Japanese Kobe steakhouse, on Okinawa, back in the 80s.  It was unbelievable.  But, I bet some of those Snake River Farm $100 ribeyes might be difficult to distinguish in difference... don't know, just wondering out loud.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:49:29 PM »
That was kind of what I was thinking. A super Prime Rib-Eye from Snake River or Lobel's in New York vs "Kobe", "Kobe-style" or "Wagyu" could be pretty similar in quality. They are all expensive, no matter which direction you go.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 08:15:23 PM »
They are all expensive, no matter which direction you go.

Ain't that the truth!!  Funny, but when I ate a real Kobe steak, I didn't really know anything about BBQ, meat cuts, or what Kobe beef really was!  All I know was it had the texture of a good steak, but was fork-tender, and had an incredible taste - like no beef I'd ever had.  Wish I would have known more about it, at the time!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 08:52:27 PM »
They finally had some back in stock again!  Look at these beauties!!!

Not sure if I'll do these on Sat or Sun, but will keep everyone up to date as to how they turn out.
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 09:02:53 PM »
Would you experienced sous vide's recommend prepping them with butter pads like on the chuckies?
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
Would you experienced sous vide's recommend prepping them with butter pads like on the chuckies?

Oh yeah!  I always add an abundance of butter pats to my steaks!
Tony from NW Arkansas