Author Topic: Got my Cold Smoke Going on Today!  (Read 1966 times)

EFGM

Got my Cold Smoke Going on Today!
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »
Took advantage of the slightly lower temps today!
10# Tallamook Mild Cheddar, 5# Tallamook Pepper Jack and
a slice of Nancy Jalapeño.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Glock_21

Re: Got my Cold Smoke Going on Today!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »

I really need to order the cold smoke plate and try this.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 07:46:52 PM »
No cold smoke plate there.  Using the AMNPS?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:27:12 PM »
I normally don't try to cold smoke cheese in the summer, especially here in Texas. However I am out and need some on hand so I took advantage of this lower temp day.

Steps I take are as follows:

1. Slice my Cheese into slices I desire, which are normally about 4 oz slices. On this smoke I cut 2 of the 2.5# blocks into thin slices. These is for orduerves with round crackers, thin slice of cheese and slice of melt in your mouth smoked sausage.
2. Then I prepare my smoker. This time I removed the wood trays however I will leave them from now on. I fill my Amazen Tube smoker (12 inch) with pellets and place it on bottom of smoker. I put it to the left of the left hand element and let the element guard hold it in place. I remove the drip pan to improve airflow.
3. Then I light the tube smoker with my propane torch. I no longer use the small hand held one that you refill, but use one on the long slider tanks. Takes much less time to get it sufficiently lit.
4. Now I fill a full size aluminum pan with ice and place on bottom rack.
5. Then I load the racks. I laid the thin slices flat and the 4 oz slices on their side standing up.
6. I put one probe to my tappecue throw exhaust hole and rested on top rack between the cheese. Always prepared to add more ice should the temp come close to 90.
7. Shut the door and go about my business. The tappecue will alert my phone if temp reaches 83 which should give me time to react.

This smoke today I went for 3 hours, in a smaller smoker I usually only go 2 hours and it works out well. As you this thing has a lot of real estate and I wanted a little heavier smoke profile than I saw at 2 hours.

Then I vacuum pack everything. 2 4oz slices to a vacuum pack. The thin slices I did 4 slices each just because.

So now I'm stocked up. 5 # Tallimook Mild Cheddar, 5# Tallimook Pepper Jack, and a small slice of Yancy Jalapeño. Ready for Smoked Mack n Cheese, brisket nachos, or just plain o' cheese nachos. Great things to serve if Dinner is ever running a little late cause we all know, "It Ain't Done Till It's Done"

With today's temp the Smoker never got above 75* and the outdoor temp reached 91. Worked out great!

Probably more info that needed.

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »
Looks really good, Doug!  I thought that was an Amazen product. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:42:45 PM »
Thanks!, I love my Cheese
and Brisket
and Turkey
and Salmon
and Talapia
and Chicken Breast
and Ham
etc, etc, etc