Author Topic: Spiral cut potatoes meets potato bomb  (Read 4525 times)

YoDadio

Spiral cut potatoes meets potato bomb
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »
Got lost in the interwebs and stumbled across a site for how to make spiral cut potatoes: http://www.foodbeast.com/news/spiral-chips-how-to/ and got to thinking this has some interesting possibilities along the lines of a stuffed potato bomb thingy that may cook faster and/or would be easier to (over) stuff with cheese and garlic and then wrap it all with a piece of bacon...

Has anyone tried this in the smoker? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I guess I'll simply have to go where no man has gone before this weekend.
Gary in Castaic, CA
SI 3D
Fire Magic Custom II

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Spiral cut potatoes meets potato bomb
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »
That's a pretty cool technique, Gary!  Thanks for sharing it.  I'll have to ponder this one a bit, but look forward to what you come up with!  Be sure to post pics!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:59:08 AM »
Looks good. I will have to try that. Not sure how you could incorporate that into the smoker though. Seems like you need the high heat of the oven to get the crispy edges.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

YoDadio

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:40 AM »
Sconnie,

I was thinking less of potato chips and more along the lines of a stuffed backed potato. In theory, I can pull apart the spirals, sprinkle/stuff them with fixins, squeeze it closed, wrap with bacon to keep it closed, and smoke to perfection.

I am thinking the kicker will be how to get the potato done, bacon crisp, and cheese melted without converting my SI 3D into a smoked stainless steal lasagne. I am trying to figure out if I need to nuke the potato and/or bacon before they go into the smoker to help "even up" the smoke/cook time for them.

My early thoughts are to spiral cut the potato, slightly spread out the spirals, loosely wrap it with bacon, and nuke it for a few minutes. Then let it cool to the touch before further spreading and "stuffing" the spirals with typical potato fixins, squeeze all the spirals together, and re-wrap with the par cooked bacon. The potato would be smoked on the top rack with a pan or "boated" aluminum foil on the bottom rack as damage control for leakage issues and going full throttle at 350 until the bacon is crisp (1 hour-ish?).
Gary in Castaic, CA
SI 3D
Fire Magic Custom II

YoDadio

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 04:50:17 AM »
Sad to say my experiment was pretty much a bust. The potato had a good smoke flavor, but too much else went wrong.

The spiral cut certainly was not as easy as it looked. Stuffing the spirals wasn't as easy as I had assumed. I even tried one where I made a "kabob" alternating cheese slices with the potato. Both ways a lot of the cheese escaped from the finished product. Then there was the issue of getting the potato and bacon to finish at the same time...

If I try it again, I'll definitely nuke the potato until done (or near done) after cutting. I still love the concept but lack the skill to successfully pull it off.

Oh well, no guts no glory
Gary in Castaic, CA
SI 3D
Fire Magic Custom II

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 10:45:17 AM »
Exactly Gary! I'll bet it still tasted good.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, Gary!  Bet it gave you some ideas on what to do next time, whether it's the spiral cut or not!  (Btw, I knew that couldn't be as easy as it looked in the video! ;) Bet that was some highly-skilled potato chef!)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!