Author Topic: Brisket for my friends  (Read 7801 times)

Nimrod

Brisket for my friends
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »
Got a couple friends stopping by for a few days, one from Florida and one from Kansas City, so I wanted to serve  some “Texas” food and brisket Had to be on the menu.  First brisket in my SI-2 and I’m very excited to taste the outcome.

Hard to find anything beyond Select grade in this area but I found a 13.84# Choice that was trimmed more than desired but otherwise looked fantastic.  Put it in DMs’ brine last night(@14hrs) then rinsed, injected and patted down with dalmatian and garlic powder.  Wrapped and getting happy now while I return to work.  Planning to eat around 6pm tomorrow and I’ll update with more.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

es1025

Re: Brisket for my friends
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 12:25:42 PM »
Good luck!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »
Dave, I predict good eats tomorrow....  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
After they taste that brisket they're gonna want to throw rocks at the bbq joints where they came from. ;)
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »
Dave, have you rested one overnight with salt rub, after brining, before?  Just curious.  If I brine, even though I rinse it thoroughly, there is still salt on the surface.  So, letting salt sit on the meat overnight might push the salt level over the edge.  I usually just rinse, rub and straight into the smoker.  Let me know how the saltiness is.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »
Dave, have you rested one overnight with salt rub, after brining, before?  Just curious.  If I brine, even though I rinse it thoroughly, there is still salt on the surface.  So, letting salt sit on the meat overnight might push the salt level over the edge.  I usually just rinse, rub and straight into the smoker.  Let me know how the saltiness is.

Have not ever done this brine the brisket process before Tony and I purposely went pretty light on the salt/pepper because of my uncertainty.  I take it your rub doesn't have much salt or is there some salt voodoo that would change salting and resting vs salting and cooking if used in equal amounts?

The injection seemed pretty hot w 2 tbsp of  Crystal hot sauce so maybe it will overpower their taste buds ;) Looking forward to reporting the good as well as the...what happened 8)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »
After they taste that brisket they're gonna want to throw rocks at the bbq joints where they came from. ;)

I hope your right Dale but if not they're gonna wish we had more Watergate salad!  Hadnt had any in several years but your recent post reminded me how much I enjoyed it so its back on the menu lads :)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »
Have not ever done this brine the brisket process before Tony and I purposely went pretty light on the salt/pepper because of my uncertainty.  I take it your rub doesn't have much salt or is there some salt voodoo that would change salting and resting vs salting and cooking if used in equal amounts?

The injection seemed pretty hot w 2 tbsp of  Crystal hot sauce so maybe it will overpower their taste buds ;) Looking forward to reporting the good as well as the...what happened 8)

No salt voodoo, just chemistry!  The brine infuses a certain amount of salt into the meat (but not as much as you would think).  The main purpose is that the salt modifies the protein molecules, near the surface of the meat, which causes them to expand and "seal" the surface, thus retaining moisture (it can't escape as easily).  Now, even though you rinse the meat, there is still residual salt on the surface.  It's not that you put more salt on the surface, it's the length of time it stays on the surface. 

We can achieve the same chemical reaction by coating meat in salt, wrapping, and resting in the fridge overnight.  But, this process isn't as efficient as a brine, and certainly not as flavorful!  So, by brining, and then adding more salt overnight, you run the risk that the salt will liquify and essentially "brine" the meat a second time.  By adding it right before smoking, it kind of infuses with the bark, and stays on the surface.  At least, that's my theory....I could be wrong! ???    That's why I'm looking forward to your results, to see if I'm right or wrong. ;)   If you went light, I'm sure you'll be fine!  Beef can handle salt.

As for the injection, you really don't taste much heat, but more the flavor profile of the Crystal hot sauce; it gets pretty-well diluted in the meat.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
Interesting ::)
Thanks for that info Tony.  Ive been studying the gradient/equilibrium brine methodology and find it very enlightening.

Need...more....experimentation :o
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »
Dave, I predict good eats tomorrow....  8)
Sorry for the delayed reporting but I got called away on a job.  The eats were great Bob but not what I expected :o
 Are they ever...lol !!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 08:53:05 PM »
The friends lovvved the brisket but my expectations were higher?

Here's the skinny:
Tony- no saltiness on the rub (nice looking bark) and a nice hint of the hot sauce from the injection.

I felt it was overdone although I pulled at 190, dbl wrapped and rested for 2 hours

Despite using the #1 pink salt in my brine, there was no noticeable faux smoke ring?  I made the brine up @24 hours in advance and wonder if the cure lost some strength over time?

Its my first brisket on the SI but I trusted the Maverick even though the time seemed long.  Started at 10pm, was at 158 around 7am, 174 at 1:30 but didnt make 190 until 5:10pm. 17 hours isnt out of line for an @14# brisky but it seemed too long.

My thought is it was fairly lean for a packer (but I wanted the "choice") and maybe that lack of fat extended the time? Gonna go with the selct next time or whatever looks best.

Got some good leftovers and the point was truly delicious.  Saving some for burnt ends!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 01:25:06 AM »
Select will have less fat than Choice. (Select is a lower grade than Choice.) For USDA meat grading, fat=good, lean=bad. Avoid Select grade meat if at all possible. Try to buy either Choice or Prime. You made the right decision going with the Choice. Meat is graded based on "intramuscular" fat. Prime will have the most intramuscular fat/marbling, which looks like a network of fine spider webs of fat running through the muscle. Choice has less. Select even less. You won't see much marbling in Select. My guess is that is sounds like your brisket was overtrimmed when you bought it. I like about 1/4 to 1/2 inch fat cap. I also take my brisket to 195 in the flat (205 in the point). I hear a lot of people on this forum who take theirs to 190, and say it was "dry". I'm wondering if just seems dry, because it was "firm". Those extra 5 degrees can take a couple hours sometimes, and brisket seems to need it in order to fully break down the collagen into gelatin. It should be floppy and bendable when you remove it from the smoker. Then sometimes you just get a piece of meat that turns out dry, because it comes from nature, and all animals are different. I've found the USDA Prime briskets from Costco to be the best and most consistent around here. I wouldn't risk buying anywhere else at this point. Once you find a good source, stick to it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:37:18 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nimrod

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »
Good thoughts Kari.
No Costcos around my part of the state :( so our choices (or choice) are limited and most markets carry only select briskets.  The 'choice' version I found was labeled 'extra lean' but I went for it because, well it was choice.  Anyway, I had a bit of remorse because it seemed (too) trimmed right out of the chute but figured the brine and injection would help mitigate that.  There's a couple small meat markets I haven't checked so I'm going to search harder for a better source and see if I'm overlooking someone.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »
Good thoughts Kari.
No Costcos around my part of the state :( so our choices (or choice) are limited and most markets carry only select briskets.  The 'choice' version I found was labeled 'extra lean' but I went for it because, well it was choice.  Anyway, I had a bit of remorse because it seemed (too) trimmed right out of the chute but figured the brine and injection would help mitigate that.  There's a couple small meat markets I haven't checked so I'm going to search harder for a better source and see if I'm overlooking someone.

Haha! Avoid anything that says "extra lean" too. Sounds like you don't have a lot of good options. Do you have a Sam's Club around there? Maybe there are some folks on the forum in your neck of the woods who know of some good meat sources nearby. One would think that you'd be able to get some good brisket meat in Texas. But maybe that's just a myth.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nimrod

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »
We have Sams club but all they carry (that Ive seen) are select grade briskets.   I think brisket is so popular in Texas that most folks dont care or the quality is simply better than labeling allows.  Ive smoked a fair number of good brisket on my offset and eaten way more but never heard anyone 'share' their secret to great brisket was buying up a grade or two. Competition cooking has likely made those more accessible or possibly? markets simply learned they could charge more if they began marking the grade on a brisket kindof like they did on ground meat fat percentage.
You certainly encourage me to continue my search though...thanks :)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2