Author Topic: I need Help - Brisket Help with 3D - Restaurant Depot?  (Read 4825 times)

Golfer1659

I need Help - Brisket Help with 3D - Restaurant Depot?
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
So far I have done a lot of research but I am as green as they come to smoking.  My smoker, the 3D comes in on Monday.

My plan is to cook a huge brisket and feed my buddies Friday night.  I was going to go to Restaurant Depot since I have the availability.  I am thinking 1/2lb per guy and I am going to use Tony's Brined recipe for the day before.  Then I will use Famous Daves rib rub on it and smoke it.

I am thinking I should get a FULL brisket and trim?

Do you guys use restaurant depot and recommend any types of brisket they offer? 

Am I looking for a specific type when going to restaurant depot? 

If I have 10 guys I think I get  10lb brisket since it will shrink up to 40%?  (we are all big guys)

What temp should I cook at?  225 degrees? 

Also how much would chunks should I plan on using?  I will have hickory and sugar maple.  I was going to use hickory.

I appreciate any help you can give, I am continue to research through the next several days.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:02:12 PM by Golfer1659 »
Kyle
Smokin it 3D
First smoker ever and here to learn!!!

Golfer1659

Re: I need Help - Brisket Help with 3D - Restaurant Depot?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJGmprFIlJo

Is this a proper form to follow of trimming the fat off the brisket......
Kyle
Smokin it 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
Kyle, whole (or "packer" cut) briskets are best.  These include the flat and the point (the 2 muscles that make it a packer).  You'll be hard-pressed to find a packer less than 13-14 lbs, so don't worry about the amount per person calculation.  For 10 people, I wouldn't go less than 14 lbs, as you will trim about a pound of fat off of it, and it will shrink.  Besides, who doesn't like leftover brisket? ;)

The trimming video is good, but he trims way more than I do.  He almost completely separated the point and the flat, which I don't do until it's done cooking.  I keep at least 1/4" of the fat cap on the back of the flat, and then score it in about 1" squares, rather than create the "pockets" like that guy talked about.  I, like the guy in the video, do remove the heavy, dense fat around the edges.

At 225, I always average 1 - 1/25 hours/lb, on brisket.  You want 6-7 oz of hickory, for the wood.  "How many chunks" is a question I can't answer, as it depends on the size of your chunks.  If you don't have a cheap digital scale, I really recommend getting one to weigh your wood.

When you go to RD, buy at least a USDA Choice brisket.  If they have USDA Prime, get it; brisket is one cut where the extra $ for Prime is worth it, imo. 

As for rub, I've never used FD's Rib Rub on a brisket.  While it is fantastic on pork, I don't think I'd be happy with the flavor profile on beef.  Brisket needs salt, black pepper, garlic and onion.  Bold, and simple.  I use a seasoning called Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning, but you have to order it from the small company in Nebraska.  It's killer on beef.  I wouldn't use FD Rib Rub because of the sugar and paprika...just not my cup of tea, on beef. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Golfer1659

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
Kyle, whole (or "packer" cut) briskets are best.  These include the flat and the point (the 2 muscles that make it a packer).  You'll be hard-pressed to find a packer less than 13-14 lbs, so don't worry about the amount per person calculation.  For 10 people, I wouldn't go less than 14 lbs, as you will trim about a pound of fat off of it, and it will shrink.  Besides, who doesn't like leftover brisket? ;)

The trimming video is good, but he trims way more than I do.  He almost completely separated the point and the flat, which I don't do until it's done cooking.  I keep at least 1/4" of the fat cap on the back of the flat, and then score it in about 1" squares, rather than create the "pockets" like that guy talked about.  I, like the guy in the video, do remove the heavy, dense fat around the edges.

At 225, I always average 1 - 1/25 hours/lb, on brisket.  You want 6-7 oz of hickory, for the wood.  "How many chunks" is a question I can't answer, as it depends on the size of your chunks.  If you don't have a cheap digital scale, I really recommend getting one to weigh your wood.

When you go to RD, buy at least a USDA Choice brisket.  If they have USDA Prime, get it; brisket is one cut where the extra $ for Prime is worth it, imo. 

As for rub, I've never used FD's Rib Rub on a brisket.  While it is fantastic on pork, I don't think I'd be happy with the flavor profile on beef.  Brisket needs salt, black pepper, garlic and onion.  Bold, and simple.  I use a seasoning called Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning, but you have to order it from the small company in Nebraska.  It's killer on beef.  I wouldn't use FD Rib Rub because of the sugar and paprika...just not my cup of tea, on beef.

Yea after watching more videos, I realized 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup of black pepper is all I will use on the brisket.

Do you wrap your brisket halfway with foil?  Also if I am using the 3D meat thermometer, how do u wrap and keep the thermometer in the same spot?
Kyle
Smokin it 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »
No need to wrap, Kyle.  That is technique used by "traditional" (wood/charcoal) smokers to counteract the drying-effect of the heat source.  If you prep properly, and use a water pan (on the FLOOR of the smoker, tucked up against the smoke box), you won't need to foil.  I NEVER foil anything, except the floor of the smoker and the top of the wood box.  I save the rest to wrap the meat, twice, when finished smoking, so it can have a nice rest in the cooler, covered with towels above and below!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Golfer1659

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
Do you guys fat side up or fat side down?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:30:16 PM by Golfer1659 »
Kyle
Smokin it 3D

drains

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 08:21:13 AM »
You are going to get differing opinions on that one Kyle. I go fat side down to use the fat cap as a shield from the heat. Others will say fat side up to let the fat cap baste the meat as it renders. I think either way just find what works for you. It's really just one of those Ford or Chevy things. Good luck!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

es1025

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »
Kyle, i read you put the fat side closest to the heat source. When i smoke brisket i do fat side down. Contrary to my fellow smoker i wrap my brisket after 5 hours, then add a little liquid, then take to 195. I smoke briskets at 250.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:58 AM »
Oh, Oh. I'm a fat side up person. As long as the brisket is toward the top of the smoker. I guess if the brisket was close to the heat source at the bottom, I might recommend fat side down. It's personal preference. You'll probably find 50/50 opinions on that one.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 11:19:37 PM »
Do you guys fat side up or fat side down?

There's the "million dollar" question, in BBQ! lol.  It's basically the "Ford vs. Chevy" question!  Personally, I go fat cap down.  I find it shields the tender meat from the heat source.  I've gone both ways, on this important issue, but have found the fat cap down method gives me the best results!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Since this debate has been waged from the beginning of time, I split the difference and go fat cap down and some of my fat trimmings on top.  This provided my moistest briskets to date. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah