Author Topic: Sous Chicken?  (Read 5062 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Sous Chicken?
« on: July 04, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Just packaged up 4 large chicken breasts, rubbed down with Montreal Chicken rub and coated with pads of butter and topped with a sprig of rosemary. I'm thinking about cooking them for 2 hours at 141F.

Probably won't cook them until Wed or Thurs.

Anyone suggest a different time or temp?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Chicken?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
Brine them for 2-3 hours; you'll be glad you did!  If they are skin-on, smoke at 250 until 165.  If they are skinless, wrap in bacon and go 225 until 165. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »
They are boneless skinless.

Ay yay yay!  I didn't think about brining them!  Well, next time! 
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
Libo, shame on me!  I thought you were smoking them - didn't even catch the Sous in the title!  No need to brine SV chicken, or anything else.  Personally, I have not found the right setting/time for SV chicken.  I don't like the consistency of it, but I know it's just a matter of finding what works right, for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
What temps have you tried 141F
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 07:59:22 PM »
I have not tried 141.  I've tried 145, for 1 hour, 150 for 1 hour, and didn't like the texture of either.  Guess I've just had way too much chicken from the smoker or grill, so the weird SV texture puts me off.  Let me know what you think of it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 02:05:37 AM »
143.5 for 1 to 3 hours. I have done both 2 hours and 3 hours. The texture is very different, soft, but I really like it. I can see how it might freak some people out though. It's very moist. Not like any chicken breast you've had. Let us know what you think.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »
Thanks Karl!  Do you sear or brown yours after the bath? 
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
Thanks Karl!  Do you sear or brown yours after the bath?

I do sear, but I sear very quickly if they are skinless, because they can overcook easily. If you've left the skin on, you can sear longer on that side to crisp up the skin. I don't bother to sear if I am making chicken salad. It will be the best chicken salad you've ever had. Even if people don't like the soft texture of the breasts alone, they usually really like that texture in chicken salad.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:18 PM »
Okay... The results are in!  I cooked my chicken tonight at Karl's suggestion at 143.5 for close to 3 hours, then threw them in a skillet to brown the outside a little. They turned out excellent. They were not too soft.  Next time I may go for 2 hours and see how that works out.  I will also go heavier on the butter!

I received the Lipavi sous vide rack the other day as a Bday gift.  Worked really well. It will definitely be seeing more action soon!

See pics below.
The Woodlands, Texas

Durangosmoker

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
Nice gift.  Hope your B'day was good.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
They look nice and moist. You can never have to much butter! Although looks like you used a healthy amount. The rosemary looks good too.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »
I like that rack!  And, great job on the chicken, Libo!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 08:08:34 PM »
Btw, Libo...  You've been with us awhile, and are a valuable, trusted member!  How about giving us a first name, in your signature line?  I know your name isn't "Libo," like I always call you, and I've been trying to figure-out what your handle means!  Bet you're a former Marine, and you're into guns & BBQ, like most of us here!  Am I right?
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:44:03 PM »
You fly boys are always so darn smart!

I'll get around to it soon.
The Woodlands, Texas