Author Topic: Viva Sous Vide!  (Read 5193 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Viva Sous Vide!
« on: June 30, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »
Okay, I just started my first 3 day Chuckie!

I was in a hurry so I dusted it with Montreal Steak seasoning and another hickory steak seasoning that I hadn't tried yet.  Put some pads of butter on top of both of my cuts and vacuum sealed them.

Turns out the vacuum sealer I have won't double seal so I vacuum sealed it took out my paper cutter and cut off a half inch and then sealed the end. Worked like a charm!

131F for 72hours. Then, plan to sear it in my searing station and serve.

One question, I got my chuckie from Costco. A little over 5lbs and in 2 pieces. I decided to cook them both at the same time. I have them standing up on end in the bath. I figured that would be the way so they would both cook evenly. Any thoughts on this!

Also, I used a razor knife to cut out the notch for my device. Ended up being a little large. Probably have 1/4" gap around it. Figured it would be ok. If I loose too much to condensation, I'll go get a couple more for $3/each and get it a little tighter fit.

See pics!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Viva Sous Vide!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 11:56:22 PM »
I stand my chucks on end, just like you have them. I think your hole in the lid is probably fine. See how much evaporation you get over the course of 3 days. You can always put a little plastic wrap around the gap. It won't melt. Looks like you are on your way to a great meal in a few days! The only thing I might say is that you could use more butter! ;) Nice lookin' backsplash by the way.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:05:50 AM »
Thanks!  Really, more butter?  I was afraid to over do it. How much do you put on there?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »
Lino, you can never have too much butter.....  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »
Thanks!  Really, more butter?  I was afraid to over do it. How much do you put on there?
I think she was being sarcastic.  I only put one piece on the first two I did.  They are SOOOOO good, you are in for a treat!!
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
Looks like the perfect setup.  You won't loose any noticeable amount of water with your lid setup.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 10:21:47 AM »
It's looking good so far!!  One more day!
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »

Yes, I was being sarcastic. Being from the dairy state, the more butter the better! Thanks for supporting my local economy. I'm happy to see all the butter. Looks PERFECT to me! I don't think there could ever be too much butter. I would do it like you did it.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
It's looking good so far!!  One more day!

It's almost like dry-aging meat, but not near as long!  As Tom Petty said, The waiting is the hardest part!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
Okay... First hiccup!  At 1:35hrs left on the timer, I have started getting notifications from my app that preheating is over and I can now put my meat in the pot???  The set temp is still 131 and the water temp is131. I keep hitting ok but I keep getting these notifications. I e tried changing the time on the timer and basically anything short of cancelling the cook and restarting. Anyone else have this issue before?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
Nope. Just ignore what the app is telling you. Don't know what that is about. Probably have to reset the cook on the app. You know when your meat is done. You've probably been counting down the minutes... ;)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 11:31:49 PM »
Yeah yeah... I got it.  But has anyone had that problem with the app before?  Freaking thing was driving me crazy constantly sending me the same message.  Of course I ignored it and kept cooking?

Turned out great, by the way!
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Libo, update the Anova app.  Best way is to uninstall the current one, go to Google Play/App Store and download the latest version.  I had a lot of connection issues, with the earlier versions, but that is now fixed.  Syncs right up, every time now!  I noticed it does now have a message, when the water reaches temp, but pressing OK (so far for me) clears it, and starts the cook timer.  The cook timer does not start counting until the water is up to temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas