Author Topic: How big of a brisket?  (Read 12507 times)

Greenenvey

Re: How big of a brisket?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 10:52:50 PM »
That's a bit bigger pile of scraps than I usually have but you should be fine.

Do you really think it will be ok or are you just calming my fears? Lol.. it had sooo much hard fat and I was afraid it wouldn't cook down.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 10:58:48 PM »
Should be fine, how hot are you cooking? I used to do 235 but have been going 210 for the past 6 months. I like the gentle heat of 210 better.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Greenenvey

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
I was planning on 225
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
225 is what I use. Some people on the forum will go 235, but I would never do that for a brisket. 210 sounds very interesting to me, and I think I will try that on my next brisket, but since this is your first brisket, I would go 225. The timing/schedule that was recommended for the cook was based on that. As I mentioned earlier, there's nothing worse than a brisket that has not had enough time to cook and rest. Error on the side of being done early, with a longer rest. Since you trimmed 3 pounds of fat, you might want to recalculate your time, and start at 5pm the day before.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 04:57:02 PM »
225 is what I use. Some people on the forum will go 235, but I would never do that for a brisket. 210 sounds very interesting to me, and I think I will try that on my next brisket, but since this is your first brisket, I would go 225. The timing/schedule that was recommended for the cook was based on that. As I mentioned earlier, there's nothing worse than a brisket that has not had enough time to cook and rest. Error on the side of being done early, with a longer rest. Since you trimmed 3 pounds of fat, you might want to recalculate your time, and start at 5pm the day before.
[/quote
I took all of your advice  and the brisket  is going  in at 5 this evening 😀
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »
I have one more question,  I'm going  to cube the point and make burnt ends. When I pull the brisket off the smoker and cut off the point, is the juice go into to tune out and make the flat dry while resting  in the cooler? Or will it be ok?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
I have one more question,  I'm going  to cube the point and make burnt ends. When I pull the brisket off the smoker and cut off the point, is the juice go into to tune out and make the flat dry while resting  in the cooler? Or will it be ok?
I don't make burnt ends, so I can't help you. I keep it whole, and slice the whole thing, point and all. I like the fatty point slices. If I have any point slices leftover, I cook the slices on a rack in the oven to make "brisket bacon". Makes great BLTs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:56:41 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
I'm going  to cube the point and make burnt ends.

That makes me sad, to me the point is the best eating, sliced.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Greenenvey

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »

Really well I'll change my plans and slice it :) I'm very open to suggestions. And Kari the brisket bacon sounds awsome
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »

Really well I'll change my plans and slice it :) I'm very open to suggestions. And Kari the brisket bacon sounds awsome

If you're making burnt ends, rest the brisket whole, and don't separate the point until afterwards.  Brian is the brisket king, for sure, but they don't do burnt ends up there, like we do in the South!  I totally disagree that the point is better sliced!  Cubed, coated in honey, rub, BBQ sauce, and re-smoked four a couple of hours makes the BEST "meat candy" you'll ever sink your teeth into!  Those that have never had this think that "burnt ends" means eating the parts that get tough and overcooked.  They don't know what they're missing! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Greenenvey

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »

If you're making burnt ends, rest the brisket whole, and don't separate the point until afterwards.  Brian is the brisket king, for sure, but they don't do burnt ends up there, like we do in the South!  I totally disagree that the point is better sliced!  Cubed, coated in honey, rub, BBQ sauce, and re-smoked four a couple of hours makes the BEST "meat candy" you'll ever sink your teeth into!  Those that have never had this think that "burnt ends" means eating the parts that get tough and overcooked.  They don't know what they're missing! ;)
I agree we do burnt ends around  here they are yummy.. quick question  my brisket has been in for 3 hrs and the point  shows 170 already. Did I put the probe in the wrong spot or is this normal.?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 10:24:13 PM »
I agree we do burnt ends around  here they are yummy.. quick question  my brisket has been in for 3 hrs and the point  shows 170 already. Did I put the probe in the wrong spot or is this normal.?

Do you have probes in both the flat and the point? I wouldn't worry about that reading. There's a lot of fat in the point, so it might give a high reading like that early on. You might even be in the stall, which could last for hours and hours. If you have probes in both parts, go by whichever reaches it's temperature last. You can get wacky readings in the beginning, but they usually settle down and even out.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2016, 10:29:34 PM »
I started a help me thread, but I'll answer you here. I have probe on flat  and point. Now point is 140 and flat is 182 3 and a half hours in...
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.