Author Topic: How big of a brisket?  (Read 12506 times)

Greenenvey

Re: How big of a brisket?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
Thank you Tony...ok everyone I got a 17.25 prime packer from Costco. I'll be following all of you advice. We will be eating it for our 4 the of July meal. Wish me luck with this monster😃
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
Tony is right about the time estimate. They generally take 1 to 1.25 hours per pound. (I said 1.5 hours per pound, and that was probably overshooting it.) So if you assume 1.25 hours per pound (plus at least 2 hours for rest), and it is done sooner, you can rest longer or keep warm as I had mentioned.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
Ok how does this plan sound, it's a 17.25 pound brisket. We want to eat at 1 o'clock  sunday afternoon. So if I put it in at 1 o clock on Saturday,that will be 24 hours . Does this sound ok for the total time including the 2 hour rest?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
Ok how does this plan sound, it's a 17.25 pound brisket. We want to eat at 1 o'clock  sunday afternoon. So if I put it in at 1 o clock on Saturday,that will be 24 hours . Does this sound ok for the total time including the 2 hour rest?

You will likely be trimming off about 2 pounds of fat (only the really thick stuff). If you have a scale, you can weigh your trimmings and subtract them. So you might want to calculate based on 15.25 pounds. 15.25 x 1.25 + 2 (hours rest) = approx 21 hours total. Start at 4:00 pm Saturday. Should leave plenty of time. The worst thing is an undercooked, or "rushed" brisket.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
If Pork Belly's, "until squishy" is vague, I use the toothpick method and the toothpick goes in and out with little to no resistance, no tug to get the toothpick back out.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Greenenvey

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »
You guys and girls are awsome,  thanks so much for all the help. I'm not as nervous  now about  screwing  up the meal. I have the confidence  now that I can do this thanks to all of you ;)
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »
Once you get a have a couple brisket successes under your belt, you will know what "squishy" is. For this one, go by temp, and take note of how it feels when you take it out. I always go by temp, but I know I've got a really good one if it is floppy.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »
You can't go wrong with a 17+ lb Prime brisky, Laura!  I think the last one I did, that big, was right around 21 hours.  Should be great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
I did a practice run with a flat.  First brisket I had ever cooked (first brisket I had ever purchased!). Stoked with confidence, I did a full packer for Easter. Perfect. It was a lot simpler than I had thought. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »
If Pork Belly's, "until squishy" is vague

???
They physical qualities of brisket are:
1 Raw, cold wet and firm. About 35 deg.
2 Not done, tight and firm like an over inflated basketball, typically in the 170-195 range but it can go higher.
3. Squishy, Sags from both ends when held in the middle, you know you could shove a stiff finger through the middle. The meat is firm yet very yielding, shiny greasy bark, typically 195-205.
4. Too damn done, hard brittle edges, dry exterior very firm.

I hope this helps.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
Hehe...I thought Brian might clarify the whole "squishy" explanation.  Makes perfect sense, to me, as BBQ is not an exact science, and so much of its goodness depends on our intuition and "feel!"  Nice job, Belly...nice job!  If anyone here knows what a perfect brisket "feels" like, my money's on Brian! ;)

Dave's got a good point, about the "toothpick test," for those that haven't done a few, but following Brian's explanations of the feel, should definitely help.  That's what you're going for!  I have a "target" temp (usually 192-195), but I still feel if it's done or not.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:40:45 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Greenenvey

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Thanks Brian and Tony that makes a lot of since, I'll slap it around  at about  195 and see if it's squishy ;D
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »
Ok I've got it trimmed and in the briner now. I'm hoping  and praying  I didn't over trim it. I got 3 pounds  of fat off. Basically  all I cut of was the thick  hard fat. There was a ton of it.... here is the pics I hope I did this right? ???
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »
And the other side
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 10:45:33 PM »
That's a bit bigger pile of scraps than I usually have but you should be fine.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud