Author Topic: How big of a brisket?  (Read 12509 times)

Greenenvey

How big of a brisket?
« on: June 25, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
What size brisket will I need to feed  10 people ? Thanks
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: How big of a brisket?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »
At least 1/2 pound a person for big eaters. For best results get a whole packer cut, smoke it whole. You can serve point and flat, lean and moist however you want to describe it then have plenty of leftovers. it's better to have too much food.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Greenenvey

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »
Thanks Brian, I've never cooked a brisket before but I'll be doing one for the 4th of July. How much do they shrink? Is a 13 pounder big enough after its been cooked?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »
Laura, briskets will shrink as much as 40%, after smoking.  That giant hunk of meat won't look anything like it did when it comes out!  For a 13 lb briskie, you're looking at about 8-9 lbs of finished meat.   Depending on your eater's appetites, that may be ok, or a little short.  Slice it thin!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 12:06:15 AM »
I think 8-9 pounds finished meat should be plenty. I'm a "good" eater, and I aways think I can eat a LOT more brisket than I actually end up eating. It is pretty rich and filling. As long as you've got lots of filling sides, especially potato salad ;D, you will be fine. I would just buy the largest whole packer brisket you can find that looks good. Also, if it is untrimmed, you might be trimming a couple pounds of fat off of it. Don't over-trim it though. Leave a good 1/4 inch of fat.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
Thank you all for your help, my next question is I need this brisket done and on the table at 1 o'clock on sunday afternoon.  I don't have the brisket on hand but let's say it's a 12 pounder. What time would you suggest I put it in the smoker?  I'm thinking 5 pm on Saturday? That's a very uneducated guess, I want to hear what you  guys think?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »
Briskets will shrink somewhere between, "Wow it looks the same" to "What the hell happened?" they are unpredictable.
- Sigmund Freud

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Laura,

They can be unpredictable on time also.  Let temperature be your guide. Get a decent thermometer like a Maverick et-133 or an igrill. When the temp hits 190 take it out, double wrap it in foil, put it in a cooler with towels placed on top for at least 1 hour to rest.  You can leave it in the cooler for 5 or 6 hours if needed until ready to slice. As soon as you start slicing, it will start drying out so you don't want to slice until ready to put on plate.  You should aim for 1/4" slices.

Set your temp for 135F.  FYI

If you start that size brisket around midnight the night before, you should have plenty of time for it to rest.

What rub are you using?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:38:08 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »
When the temp hits 190 take it out

I disagree I see a ton of 190 briskets that are as tight as a new basketball. Forget temp cook it until its squishy.
- Sigmund Freud

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
And here we go...

Well, I was going to say between 190-195. But I think 190 with a good rest will be fine.  Remember Laura has no experience with brisket yet, so I was trying to keep it as straightforward as possible.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Greenenvey

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »
Wow they have 18 pound brisket at our costco
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »
The USDA Prime briskets at Costco are excellent. You will want to trim off the really thick parts of fat, but don't over-trim!

I temp both the flat and the point, and my ideals are 195 in the flat, and 200 in the point. Those are my minimums. I have found that 190 is not as jiggly and tender as I like. When your temps are there, check it and see if it's "jiggly", floppy, and bends easily (you will get to know this texture the more briskets you do). If so, it's ready for a rest in a cooler (double wrap in foil, and surrounded by towels. I try to rest at least 2 hours, and up to 6 hours is fine.

I often hear about brisket flats being dry when people do their FIRST brisket. This almost never comes from cooking to too HIGH of temp. The reasons in reality are 1) bought a flat-only cut from the supermarket which was overtrimmed and probably USDA "Select" quality (try to buy AT LEAST UDSA Choice, with USDA Prime, whole packer brisket the best). 2) Did not allow enough time, and rushed the cooking by turning the smoker to 250 or higher, which will make the meat "tense up" and render/squeeze out fat and moisture before connective tissue has fully converted to gelatin. 3) Did not allow enough time, and just pulled from the smoker at too low of internal temperature. Sometimes what our senses interpret as "dry" is really just a tough cut of meat that hasn't been allowed enough time/temperature to become tender. 4) Did not allow enough time, and did not rest long enough, so when sliced, all of the juices ran out of the meat.

Do you see a common theme here? It is so common for people to NOT allow enough time for brisket. So, cook your brisket shooting for it being done 6 hours before your event, and you should not have to compromise.

The reason she is asking for time, is because everyone needs to know what time they should start the darn thing! I don't think she was planning on cooking by time-only. Internal temperature is always what you go by for pulling from the smoker. I would go by 1.5 hours per pound at 225, and plan on it being done by noon on Saturday, then a rest in the cooler until you are ready to slice before 5:00. If it's done later, you'll still have plenty of wiggle room for your 2 hour minimum rest. If it's done early, take it out and double wrap in foil. Turn the smoker off, and leave the door open for 30 minutes to let it cool down. Turn the smoker to 140, put your brisket back in (in a foil pan would not hurt, to help insulate against heat from the bottom), and keep warm until about 2-4 hours before your event, at which time you can transfer to a cooler to rest.

I know you've got a 3D, so in theory you could program in changing the smoker temp to 140 when the internal temp reaches 195, but that will overcook your brisket. Even though the digital controller will shut the element off, because these smokers are so well insulated, the internal box temperature will probably remain up toward 225 for a couple hours. And your brisket will go way past 195. Maybe others here have a suggestion on how to program this, for cutting it off at a lower internal temperature, switching to 140 and hoping the final internal temp will end up at 195, but I think the old fashioned way works best for brisket (when you reach your desired internal temp, remove the brisket).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:32:41 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
The USDA Prime briskets at Costco are excellent. You will want to trim off the really thick parts of fat, but don't over-trim!

I temp both the flat and the point, and my ideals are 195 in the flat, and 200 in the point. Those are my minimums. I have found that 190 is not as jiggly and tender as I like. When your temps are there, check it and see if it's "jiggly", floppy, and bends easily (you will get to know this texture the more briskets you do). If so, it's ready for a rest in a cooler (double wrap in foil, and surrounded by towels. I try to rest at least 2 hours, and up to 6 hours is fine.

I often hear about brisket flats being dry when people do their FIRST brisket. This almost never comes from cooking to too HIGH of temp. The reasons in reality are 1) bought a flat-only cut from the supermarket which was overtrimmed and probably USDA "Select" quality (try to buy AT LEAST UDSA Choice, with USDA Prime, whole packer brisket the best). 2) Did not allow enough time, and rushed the cooking by turning the smoker to 250 or higher, which will make the meat "tense up" and render/squeeze out fat and moisture before connective tissue has fully converted to gelatin. 3) Did not allow enough time, and just pulled from the smoker at too low of internal temperature. Sometimes what our senses interpret as "dry" is really just a tough cut of meat that hasn't been allowed enough time/temperature to become tender. 4) Did not allow enough time, and did not rest long enough, so when sliced, all of the juices ran out of the meat.

Do you see a common theme here? It is so common for people to NOT allow enough time for brisket. So, cook your brisket shooting for it being done 6 hours before your event, and you should not have to compromise.

The reason she is asking for time, is because everyone needs to know what time they should start the darn thing! I don't think she was planning on cooking by time-only. Internal temperature is always what you go by for pulling from the smoker. I would go by 1.5 hours per pound at 225, and plan on it being done by noon on Saturday, then a rest in the cooler until you are ready to slice before 5:00. If it's done later, you'll still have plenty of wiggle room for your 2 hour minimum rest. If it's done early, take it out and double wrap in foil. Turn the smoker off, and leave the door open for 30 minutes to let it cool down. Turn the smoker to 140, put your brisket back in (in a foil pan would not hurt, to help insulate against heat from the bottom), and keep warm until about 2-4 hours before your event, at which time you can transfer to a cooler to rest.

I know you've got a 3D, so in theory you could program in changing the smoker temp to 140 when the internal temp reaches 195, but that will overcook your brisket. Even though the digital controller will shut the element off, because these smokers are so well insulated, the internal box temperature will probably remain up toward 225 for a couple hours. And your brisket will go way past 195. Maybe others here have a suggestion on how to program this, for cutting it off at a lower internal temperature, switching to 140 and hoping the final internal temp will end up at 195, but I think the old fashioned way works best for brisket (when you reach your desired internal temp, remove the brisket).
Kari that was a fantastic reply, thank you for taking the time to type that all out I really appreciate that. Thanks everyone for your replies they are all appreciated and I learned alot.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
I'm a fast typist.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »
Great advice, one and all!  Listen to Brian (Pork Belly), for sure!  This guy smokes more briskets in a day than most of us do in a year!  I know we (amateurs) use internal temp as a "guideline," but (just like ribs & time), it's never an "absolute!"  One thing about our hobby is the ability to learn "feel," which is a huge part of BBQ!  Temps are not absolute, if it doesn't "feel" right!  Just like testing ribs with a toothpick (because the "5 hours, no peek" rule is a guideline, not an "absolute"), we need to test the feel of a brisket, too!  Brian can definitely help with that! 

Nothing can replace experience.  The more you smoke, the more you will have...period.  We have all had a lot that are either too much, too little, or "just right!"  What we need to remember, is what the ones "felt" like that were just right! ;)   Meat is never going to be the same, every time, and that's the fun part, and what separates those that can do, from those that just need to learn how to "do!"  lol.  Technique, and finding what works, is from trial and error.  Be proud of your successes, and learn from your mistakes (which usually taste pretty darn good, btw)!

Now that my rant is over, let me chime in my 2ยข... ;)   I agree with Kari on timing.  I have never had a brisket take more than 1.5 hrs/lb; in fact, I have rarely had a brisket take more than 1.25 hrs/lb.  One of the most "predictable" smokes (if there is one) I do! 

Don't over-trim...fat is your friend, on a packer!  Make sure nothing is less than 1/4" thick, and score it to allow smoke/rub penetration.  Use a water pan, and keep it in until you start checking it about 190.  May take a little more, but (in my experience), you won't find one done before that.  Plan on resting, double-wrapped in foil, for as long as it takes.  If it's going to be more than 4-5 hours, rest in the smoker set to 140 (let it cool first, so you don't continue cooking).  Should be great! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!