Author Topic: Pork Chops  (Read 4678 times)

Durangosmoker

Pork Chops
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
I find my pork chops usually turn out a bit tough and dry, so I thought they might be an ideal candidate for a sous vide treatment.  So I got 2 bone in loin chops, sprinkled them with salt and pepper, and sealed them in a bag with 2 Tbs each of grainy Dijon mustard and maple syrup.  Looking online, I found recipes calling for either a window of 1 - 4 hours, or another recipe called for 6 hours in the water bath. I decided on 2 hours, and went with a temperature of 145, the recent FDA safe number.  The final step was a quick reverse sear in a cast iron pan for color. The result, while more moist than I usually get, was still a bit tough, not cut-it-with-a-fork tender like I had hoped. 

So my question is, was I cooking it at too high a temperature, or not long enough?  Anybody done pork chops and had them come out amazing?  TIA
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

icebob

Re: Pork Chops
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »
I know, most here will disagree but I like to always try with longer cooking time and work my way back with the cooking time, my last bone in pork chop were in the bath for 8hrs, not a necessity but was easier for me to time dinner (started at around 10am and had dinner at 6pm... I just torched them with the sears all apparatus and it was a hit with the guests...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:48:15 PM »
Eric, I haven't done pork chops, but if it were me, I try them again at 3 hours.  The longer in the bath, the more the meat fibers break down.  145's fine on the temp, you just need more time.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:23:13 AM »
I find Serious Eats a good resource for time/temp. I'm like Bob, I start with a longer time, and work backward from there if I think the texture is too soft. According to this web page, I would go 140° for 4 hours and see how you like them.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-pork-chops.html
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
Hi all, and thanks for the responses.  What you say makes sense, and next time I'll let cook for longer.  I was just hoping for a quick mid-week dinner, but I guess I need to plan better. The pan sauce (bag sauce?) was nice, though. And thanks for the link to the website.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

icebob

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »
Will let you know how it end up but picked some 2" thick bone in loin chops at costco today, they got in the bath at 1:00pm and dinner is planned for 6:00/6:30... 145f and will finish on a griddle on top of the sear burner on the gasser....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:38:26 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

icebob

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »
145f and 5hrs is now the reference for me! best chops I've cooked so far... I'm also getting hooked to that grilled ceasar salad....!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:07:10 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »
Good to know! I figured more time on pork chops would be good. Which cut of chops did you use? Rib chops? Loin chops? (They look like rib chops.) Extended time would especially be good for the chops that are comprised of a variety of muscle groups, like shoulder chops, center cut, or sirloin chops. I think you got that grilled caesar salad thing from me. I know I've included it in my sous vide posts. It is a fantastic thing to make if you are firing up your grill for searing the meat anyway. I make my own caesar dressing, way better than anything you can buy, and no raw eggs (although you can pasteurize your own eggs in the sous vide!!) I don't think I have ever posted the recipe, but I probably should.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:47:49 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
They were bone in loin chops, close to 2" thick... I also make my own ceasar dressing, same way I was doing it when I was a "garde manger" cook while attending college.... the lil char on the romaine just gives a taste that you want to come back for....
Bob from Cahokia, IL

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 10:35:18 PM »
Nicely done Bob!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
Bob, you never cease to amaze!  Really nice job, Sir!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
Thx guys! I just like food :P
Bob from Cahokia, IL