Author Topic: Anyone smoke salt or spices?  (Read 2052 times)

Master-Hack

• City Worker-Part of the problem, not the solution
Anyone smoke salt or spices?
« on: June 09, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »
I have an A-MAZ-N 5 X 8 pellet smoker arriving today and dying to play with the new toy.  Unfortunately, it's been very hot in Boise this week (101 yesterday) so cheese is out till it cools down a bit.  I have received & enjoyed gifts of smoked salt & thought I would give it a try.  I plan on using fruit wood pellets from my pellet grill and cold smoking in the SI2 on a screen.  Figuring about 4 hours.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On a side note, I'm still new to the SI2 but finding it to be an outstanding product.  Based on photos of RG's cubano sandwiches, I smoked a pork loin roast after a 24 hour mojo brine and made some cubanos for the family.  Turned out outrageously good!  RG, you are truly a culinary inspiration!!!
Lee from Boise
Weber Genesis - Sold in garage sale
Weber Smokey Mountain - loaned out & never returned
2 Weber Simpsons 10th Anniversary - still boxed
Louisiana Grills Little Louie - go to grill
Weber 22.5 Charcoal - wife's go to grill
Masterbuilt 30 - converted to dehydrator
SI 2 - getting started

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Anyone smoke salt or spices?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »

I haven't smoked salt before, but I have cold smoked several batches of cheese and bacon with my A-MAZE-N smokers. I have both the AMNPS and 6" and 18" AMNTS smokers. I have found that the tube smokers tend to stay lit a bit easier, but burn hotter and faster.

Since you have some high temps (they are coming to ND tomorrow and Saturday. UGH!!!), I would strongly recommend using some frozen 2-Lite soda bottles which do make a huge difference. I have found that for smokes where I don't anticipate drippings removing the smoke box allows more air flow from the drip hole thus making it easier for the A-MAZE-N smokers to stay lit. I have tried placing them on a rack above the element and on the floor, but have concluded that I get the best results from just resting the smoker on top of the element support bars.

Here are some pics from one of my cheese smokes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:33:37 PM »
Lee, you can smoke salt, spices of any kind, pepper corns/ground, paprika, etc...  Put them in a coffee filter and smoke 'em!  The coffee filter is permeable enough to let some smoke in, and will totally contain what you are smoking.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Master-Hack

• City Worker-Part of the problem, not the solution
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 05:01:55 PM »
Thanks Tony.  I know you would share some of your extensive experience.  Coffee filter is a great idea.  Now I don't have to use my wife's fancy frying pan splatter guard.

Greg - glad we could send the hot weather on.  Cooling down to 70 this Saturday so you should have it by Tuesday.  Though I might keep the door open a crack to maintain air flow.  Salt is cheap so I'm not too worried that it won't go well.  I had read about using frozen water bottles & I'll be stocking up on them before I start the cheese.  Thanks
Lee from Boise
Weber Genesis - Sold in garage sale
Weber Smokey Mountain - loaned out & never returned
2 Weber Simpsons 10th Anniversary - still boxed
Louisiana Grills Little Louie - go to grill
Weber 22.5 Charcoal - wife's go to grill
Masterbuilt 30 - converted to dehydrator
SI 2 - getting started