Author Topic: Multiple Meats, Different Cook Times  (Read 1892 times)

Glock_21

Multiple Meats, Different Cook Times
« on: May 30, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »

How does everyone handle different meats with different cook times?  I always try to get things done around the same time.  Most of the time that involves two or more smokers/grills depending on what is being prepared.

Here is the dilemma that I ran into today.
3 different meats, a small pork shoulder, a pork loin, 2 slabs of baby back ribs.  I wanted to run them all through the #3 for the majority of their cook.
Here is the process I ended up with.

Pork shoulder went into the #3 last night.  It was able to get through the "smoke phase" of the cook and into the stall.  I removed the shoulder (11 am) from the #3, put it in a pan, covered it lightly with foil and put it in the oven to finish.

I added some new wood to the #3 (all wood from the shoulder smoke was total ash) and put in the ribs and loin.

The goal is to have things cooked, rested, and ready for supper.

I think the loin is going to finish way faster than i had expected.  Things are looking good other than that.

How would you guys have approached those 3 different meats?

The scenario I run into most often is shoulder or brisket along with a slab of ribs or two.  The ribs don't take near as long.  If you add the ribs in the middle of the shoulder/brisket cook then the wood is gone and the ribs don't get any smoke.  I don't want to add wood in the middle of the shoulder/brisket cook.  I usually end up letting the shoulder/brisket cook in the #3 and put the ribs on the pellet smoker.

What other process could be used there?

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

es1025

Re: Multiple Meats, Different Cook Times
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
Travis, i did that yesterday. I have an auber so i set the butt at 250 and kept the temp until i was ready to put in the ribs, dropped temp to 240. The butt finish in a little over 10 hours, i let it rest for 3 hours still hot when i pulled it.

You should have no problems.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
Seems Ed has a pretty good handle on it, Travis.  Unfortunately, I'm not much help on this one.  I only do similar meats at the same time.  I like to focus on each individual smoke, since they all vac pack and reheat great, I'd rather do them separately, ahead of time, and fridge/freeze/reheat, as needed.  I never want to "compromise" on the quality of any of them, so they each get their own attention, to be the best that they can be.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »
Travis, i did that yesterday. I have an auber so i set the butt at 250 and kept the temp until i was ready to put in the ribs, dropped temp to 240. The butt finish in a little over 10 hours, i let it rest for 3 hours still hot when i pulled it.

You should have no problems.

So in this scenario how much (if any) smoke do the ribs get?

I have never had a butt finish in the #3 in 10 hrs.  Mine are always in the 14-16 hr range.  I may try moving the next one down to a lower rack slot.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt