Author Topic: new issue with the auber  (Read 3364 times)

allmann

new issue with the auber
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »
I started smoking a butt and everything was fine. 2 hrs into it the temperature sky rocketed to 337 and the screen starts flashing. I unplug and reset it. I open the door to cool it down and to pull out the chunk of wood that is on fire. Go back inside and the temp is rising fast and won't stop so I unplug and let sit for 10 min. Now when I plug it in the left screen just has an H on it and the right screen isn't budging past 87 degrees. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to do ribs tomorrow and has a bunch of errands, was hoping to set it and forget it. Hence why I dropped the extra money on this PIA box.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: new issue with the auber
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
Kevin - If I read your earlier posts correctly, you installed a bypass switch so you should be able to go analog and finish your smoke.  Contact Auber next week and see what they suggest.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

allmann

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
Yeah that is exactly what I am doing. I was just hoping to figure it out. I like to have the temperature swings managed. Before the auber they were 30+ degrees each way. I know it should even out in the end but I feel i get a better product with the auber.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 02:39:21 PM »
Kevin, did you use the drop-in box temp probe, or do you have the wall probe installed?  From the sounds of it, the wood fire may have fried your box temp probe, if it was too close to the wood box when the wood caught fire. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
its wall mounted
Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 03:03:51 PM »
What model Auber is it, Kevin?  And, do you have the drop in probe that used to come with them?  Pretty sure your probe has failed.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

allmann

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
its a 1500 and I just have the wall mount and the meat probe. Guess i'll be buying another wall mount probe.   Any explanation on why the heat skyrocketed? It is moist wood from smokalicious and I used the hickory that had 30% moisture.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
Kevin, you did say the wood was on fire, right?  Either you got a drier chunk, or you have have a hotter spot on your element.  Might try moving your wood to a different location in the box.  On my 3D, dead middle is the hottest spot, so I tend to keep wood toward the back or front.  All I can say is that it does happen sometimes, even with really good wood!  Those elements are really powerful, and get very hot at startup!
Tony from NW Arkansas