Author Topic: Alder Wood  (Read 3472 times)

eclecticitguy

Alder Wood
« on: May 20, 2016, 03:07:48 AM »
Does anyone have a good source for Alder wood?  It doesn't appear that Smokinlicious sells Alder.  It appears that Fruitawood does but I don't know that I need to buy 10 pounds worth of Alder when my main goal is to smoke some Salmon.  Anyone have a source for a smaller amount of Alder?

Thanks.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Alder Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:40:22 AM »
Maine Grilling Woods sells in a 220 cubic inch pack which the say is roughly 4-5 pounds for $14.99 with free shipping.

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/chunks.html

If you search for Maine Grilling Woods, you will find several happy people who have purchased from them. I can't remember if it is these guys or Fruitawood that have what they call a Cookshack cut. But, if you call your order in I would ask if they have a smaller chunk option. Otherwise, it is pretty easy to use a hammer and hatchet or band saw to cut them into smaller chunks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
JMO, but smoking salmon with Alder chips doesn't require a particular moisture content like some subscribe to for chunks.  I've seen small bags of Alder chips at big box stores, Ace hardware and walmart. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
That is a good point Dave. For low temp smokes like salmon/fish, you probably are going to want chips verses chunks anyway because chunks require more heat to provide continuous smoke verses the chips that start smoking and stay smoking at lower temps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

eclecticitguy

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
To be honest, I didn't look at the temps that you smoked Salmon and didn't realize that you only cook around 150F.  As Dave mentioned, chips in this particular case would probably work great.

I've noticed that people often use a chip screen for their smoker.  Will a layer of aluminum foil in the smoke box work the same?
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
I've noticed that people often use a chip screen for their smoker.  Will a layer of aluminum foil in the smoke box work the same?
Yes. I use both in my smoker.  The foil cuts down on a lot of air due to the many large holes in the bottom. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah