Author Topic: Can I fit 4 racks of baby back ribs in my Model 2?  (Read 7715 times)

eclecticitguy

Re: Can I fit 4 racks of baby back ribs in my Model 2?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
Will, lots of folks swear by Memphis Dust, but I find it very bland. 

I am definitely going to look for a couple off the shelf rub's to try out as well.  Variety is the spice of life.  Or in this case, spice is the spice of life.  :)

When trying to Memphis Dust, did you add salt to whatever you smoked?  I noticed that the Memphis Dust recipe online specifically states not to add salt to the rub itself but to salt the meat directly.  I'm sure you added the salt, but any spice without salt will definitely taste more bland.  When not smoking, I consider myself an above average home cook and salt is definitely the secret ingredient in almost every dish you make.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 08:10:24 PM »
I've tried the MD recipe with, and without salt (to be fair).  For the one without salt, I followed instructions and salted the meat overnight.  It's not salt it's missing, it's spice!  No "kick" and no competition between sweet and heat.  Just bland, imo.  I like it when your taste buds get confused...is it hot?  Is it sweet?  What am I tasting??  lol..
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
Ok....reading these posts makes me hungry as all get out!
Thanks for the question Will, you just helped make up my mind about next weekend😃
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

eclecticitguy

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 12:28:35 AM »
Well I smoked my first set of ribs tonight in my Model 2.  Overall, I'd say my ribs were pretty good.  I was happy with most of the ribs but a couple of them came out a little dry.  I smoked for 2.5 hours @ 250, rotated the ribs top to bottom, and then smoked 2.5 hours more.  I used a modified version of Memphis Dust and the ribs definitely needed more flavor.  I went up to 250, rather than 235, because of loading the smoker with 4 racks.  Using my Thermapen, I was consistently measuring 248 from the vent hole, which makes me think I could probably set the temp to 240 next time and be just fine.  I used 2.5 oz of Hickory but might increase to 3 oz in the future.  The smoke flavor was there but not as pronounced as I would have liked, and there was little to no smoke ring on most of the ribs.  I put a loaf pan with half water and half apple cider vinegar for moisture.  Im wondering if rotating the ribs caused part of the dryness.

I took a picture of the ribs going in but forgot to take any of the ribs coming out.  Oops.  I'm excited to try again with a few modifications.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

40 caliber

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
HI Will. I guess out units are different even though both SI2s . you are probably  right, bring it down to 240 next time and see how that works for you. sorry if it steered you wrong but that is how the 2 works for me.

the  other trick is that all ribs have a fat end and a thin end. When you cut them in half make sure you put the fat end ribs lower and the thing end halfs higher.  if I don't do this ,  I find usually my thin end ones turn out  great and fat ends are not yet fall off the bone (but edible) or the fat ends are good and thin ends dry.  I'm not sure if this is what happened to you
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

Walt

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 12:31:06 PM »
I think 5 hours @ 250 dried them out. No need to increase the temp for added mass. 225-235 is plenty enough or you need to start checking doneness substantially earlier if useing 250.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
I think 5 hours @ 250 dried them out. No need to increase the temp for added mass. 225-235 is plenty enough or you need to start checking doneness substantially earlier if useing 250.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

eclecticitguy

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
I'm putting in another rack at 235 and will leave on for 4.5 hours before checking.  Stay tuned. 
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

40 caliber

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »

I hear you guys but every time I put 4 or more  racks in at 235, the box temp stays low (on my SI2) and the only way I have been able to get good ribs in 4.5 - 5.5 hours is by amping up the temp to 240-250.  it just doesn't work any other way.. I must have 20+ smokes of ribs on that SI2.....something is different.. I agree if you are using a D model it probably isn't necessary.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

eclecticitguy

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »
Tom,

From what I can tell, every smoker seems a little different.  I was able to reach 260+ with 4 racks of baby backs, whereas your smoker seems to hold lower temps.  No harm, no foul.  My single rack of baby backs turned out perfect tonight at 235 for about 4.75 hours.  I made a different rub and put more on.   I'm not sure if this creates more bark but the results were spectacular.  Definitely what I was hoping for when I bought my SI2.  Now that I made a good batch of baby backs, I may try a Pork Butt next.

I remembered to take pictures this time.  Haha.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2