Author Topic: Emergency advice needed! TIA  (Read 3453 times)

smythe

Emergency advice needed! TIA
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
This morning at 8 AM, i started 10 pounds of brisket, cut into three pieces, at 225. At about 11 AM, only three hrs later, internal temp on thickest piece hit 190. I just took them out, dbl wrapped in foil, and placed back in smoker set at 140. Have i screwed the pooch? Will it be OK?  Something else a better bet? Experienced advice much appreciated!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Emergency advice needed! TIA
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
Wow, that is unusual!   Did you try moving your temp probe in the meat to get another reading?   Although I have never cut a brisket into three sections, I would have still expected more than 3 hours to reach 190*.   If you were still getting 190* from other probe locations, then double wrapping and holding in the smoker should be OK.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

smythe

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »
Thanks.  My concern is that its not really done, is not yet tender, even having read 190.  (My #1 seems to always get to "done" temp earlier than the cheat sheet suggests, for most everything).  So leaving it for the rest of the afternoon on that lowered temp is a good bet to get it past tough and into tender?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
I think so...actually, when I do brisket, it takes about 1.25-1.5 hours per pound.   By cutting the brisket into thirds, the four hour time elapse may be about right.   Let it hold at 140 and I think you will be OK.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:54:56 PM »
I hate the effect of prolonged set at 140.  Do yourself a favor and just sample it!  If it is done, double wrap and put in the cooler with towels.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
Curious, Smythe.... why cut a 10lb brisket into 3 pieces?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 01:57:57 AM »
If you are consistently getting done times much earlier than expected...
  • Are you using a temperature probe to measure your ambient box temp and comparing it to your knob setting? Your box temp might be running high.
  • Test the accuracy of your probes by placing in boiling water. They should say 212.
  • What part of the brisket are you temping? Flat? Point? Check the temp of various areas if you think the time doesn't seem right.
I have a #1, and only have to cut a very large brisket (14-18 lbs) into two pieces (point and flat). I think I might even be able to get a 10 lb brisket in there in one piece. Fewer pieces will mean more even cooking, and moister end product.

Either way, I have my doubts that you can get a brisket tender in 3 hours, no matter how small the piece. It just requires a certain amount of time to liquefy connective tissue into gelatin.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

smythe

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
If you are consistently getting done times much earlier than expected...
  • Are you using a temperature probe to measure your ambient box temp and comparing it to your knob setting? Your box temp might be running high.
  • Test the accuracy of your probes by placing in boiling water. They should say 212.
  • What part of the brisket are you temping? Flat? Point? Check the temp of various areas if you think the time doesn't seem right.
I have a #1, and only have to cut a very large brisket (14-18 lbs) into two pieces (point and flat). I think I might even be able to get a 10 lb brisket in there in one piece. Fewer pieces will mean more even cooking, and moister end product.

Either way, I have my doubts that you can get a brisket tender in 3 hours, no matter how small the piece. It just requires a certain amount of time to liquefy connective tissue into gelatin.

This.  It turned out fine.  Done, moist, tender.  Started with a 13 lb brisket, trimmed lots of fat off, so not sure what it weighed for cooking, but above 10 I'm sure.  Say at least 11, maybe 12.  Essentially, it was cut in half so as not to be too long for my #1.  Third piece was pretty much a scrap that was disconnected after large fat seam was removed.  Testing the probe accuracy is probably the best thing for me to do.  I don't totally trust the $20 model picked up at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I may start shopping for a commercial grade one at some restaurant supply store.  Thanks one and all for good advice.  Much appreciated.   

40 caliber

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »

This.  It turned out fine.  Done, moist, tender.[/quote]

PIcs or it didn't happen!   ;)

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »
Glad to hear that it all worked out!   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2