Author Topic: Soaking wood chunks  (Read 3113 times)

bewdigger

Soaking wood chunks
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »
Hi all,
Bill from Helena Alabama here.
I am currently seasoning my SI #1. I have been smoking meats for a hundred years and have always soaked my wood chunks overnight before adding them to the smoker. I am getting the impression that I don't want to do this with this smoker. Thoughts, advice?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Soaking wood chunks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
Soaking only delays the smoke start point so not seen as necessary.  When the soaked chunk dries out, it smokes just the same as the original chunk.  In addition, with the electric smoker, the element is the hottest during the warm up phase of the smoke.  When the box temp reaches temperature, the element goes into pulse mode and may not provide enough constant heat to get a full consumption of the chunk, 1/2 charred chunks at the end of the smoke.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:33:09 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
Definitely not recommended.

The only time I would consider it is if you soak "some" of your wood with the desire to have smoke for an extended time. But, 95% of the time it is not needed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bewdigger

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
Thanks you two.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
Hi Bill, A good investment would be a digital moisture meter. They can be had for about $15 at Amazon. Normally I use wood that measures >5% and have no issues with combustion with smokes above 6 hours. Ideally you want to be around 15 to 20%. At that level with my SI#1, I experienced no combustion with pork butt smoked for 10.5 hours. Noticeable smoke over time tends to track the heating element cycling.
hope this helps...
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs