Author Topic: Probe Placement model 2  (Read 2633 times)

ChuckFlorida

Probe Placement model 2
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:32:07 AM »
I just got my Auber for the model 2 (Auber - WS).  At present I do not intend to buy the permanent probe.  What is the best placement for the drop in probe?   Do you just drop it in thru the hole in the top and let it hang or do you try to anchor it to a rack, etc.?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Probe Placement model 2
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
If you don't have one of the spring steel clips for securing it to the rack, I use a small potato to hold the probe steady and off the rack.  Just push the probe through the potato until the end comes out the other side. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Hi Chuck!  Glad to have you with us!

In my opinion, the best place for the drop-in probe is in the box it came in.  Personally, I hated that probe due to the inconsistencies that it caused.  But, Dave likes it, and many are happy with it.  To me, the wall mount probe is the only way to go...removes ALL errors caused by probe placement.  You can get very different readings, depending on the box location.

Now, here's what to do:  First, figure out how to mount the probe in the SAME location, for every cook.  This should be toward the top of the inside, not touching the wall.  Once you have a spot picked, mount the probe and run an autotune (download the .pdf file under the Auber Instructions section - "How to Autotune the Auber").  When the unit is tuned, try to put the probe in the same location, every time.  It's the only way to achieve somewhat consistent results with the drop in probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ChuckFlorida

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
Well, after reading everything about the probe I broke down and ordered the permanent probe from Auber.  The consensus seems to be that the permanently mounted the probe is the only way to go.