Author Topic: New model 1 problems  (Read 7138 times)

Apg36820

New model 1 problems
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »
I am trying to pick up a new hobby and got my model 1 today. I gotta say I'm a little disappointed  as I think my smoker was shipped with a bad heating element. I followed all the instructions and it tried to season my smoker after work today. No heat at all. I'm in northwest Arkansas and it's perfect time to start smoking.
Andrew
Life is to short to eat bad food
Webber silver kettle grill
Smokin it model 1

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: New model 1 problems
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:31 PM »
Does the light on the top come on?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Apg36820

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »
The light comes on so the controller on top is getting power.
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »
You might have a dead element, or maybe just loose wires. I would call Steve at Smokin-it. He will help you troubleshoot or send out a new element right away. I've never had to do any modifications to my smoker, but it seems you can replace pretty much anything on these smokers without much difficulty.

Call or Text at:
260-417-9951
or email at:
smokin.it.info@gmail.com
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »
Just in case you want to check the electrical connections of your element, here are the element replacement instructions that will tell you what you need to remove to get at the element and connections.

http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/HeatElement2016.pdf
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:36:51 PM »
Hi neighbor!  This is probably very simple.  Shipping is tough on these, sometimes!  There are two wires that connect to the controller on top.  They are slip-on blade/spade wire connectors.  It's possible that one is loose.  Call Steve, but you can also check yourself.  If you remove the screws out of the back panel, you can remove it.  Take out the insulation (3 layers, and wear gloves!).  See if the connectors are tight against the controller, and check the wire connections at the element (on the bottom).  I bet the power lead going to the element (at the controller) was knocked loose in shipping.

Let me know what you plan to do, and we're here to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Apg36820

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
I will check the connections. I sent an email to the customer service department. I'm trying to get this thing ready for a party next weekend. My wife is graduating with her masters and has requested a brisket meal.
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

Apg36820

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:17 PM »
Also separate year ion. Is a wireless thermometer a must for cooking on this?
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:32:51 AM »
I would say it's a must for most smokes (other than ribs or smokes that go by time only), and an absolute must for brisket. You need to be able to monitor the internal temperature of the meat without opening the door. You can run the thermometer wire/probe through the exhaust hole on the top. I have a Maverick that has both a food probe, and an ambient probe for measuring the box temp. The ET-732 or ET-733 are popular choices.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »
I would say it's a must for most smokes (other than ribs or smokes that go by time only), and an absolute must for brisket. You need to be able to monitor the internal temperature of the meat without opening the door. You can run the thermometer wire/probe through the exhaust hole on the top. I have a Maverick that has both a food probe, and an ambient probe for measuring the box temp. The ET-732 or ET-733 are popular choices.

+1
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Apg36820

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:57 PM »
I found the problem. Looks like the connection was broken from the heating element. Got it fixed and it worked like a charm. On a separate note does everyone use the maverick or has anyone tried the therma pro model tp08
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 10:26:54 PM »
Great that you were able to get the fix completed. These problems are exceptionally rare but they do happen ad the fix is generally very simple.   The Therma Pro TP08 looks nice and a good price. But I think many use a Maverick. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Apg36820

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »
Yea not to bad just a bad crimp. I'm ready to season this bad boy now. Anyone use the wood you can get directly from smokin it? I ordered a bag of the sugar maple with my smoker
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
I have used the hickory and cherry from Smokin-It which is pretty good.

I wood recommend checking out www.Smokinlicious.com which is an excellent source for high quality smoking wood. Many of us here use and recommend it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 07:49:39 AM »
I have used the Maverick ET-732 for the past three years and it works great.  As for wood, I definitely recommend smokinlicious.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2