Author Topic: Wood chunk size & how much ?  (Read 4129 times)

Coach45mjp

Wood chunk size & how much ?
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
I've purchased some smokinlicous would chunks for my 2d they seem aliitle large is it best to split in half ? How much wood should I use ?
Mark NE Ohio

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Wood chunk size & how much ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:53:13 PM »
Split, get a scale, keep at 2 to 3 oz.  Also the size depth makes it hard to close the fire box. 

I.e, Even a 3 oz chunk might be too "tall" for box
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
I have to split most of my Smokinlicious chunks. I first tried a hammer and chisel, but found that a hammer and hatchet work the best.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
Hatchet better than a chisel, if you only have chisels around 1 1/2 inch or a 2" will work.  The "yellow" handle Stanley do the job if sharp.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

drains

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
Get a digital scale and when you split the chunks weigh them and write on the chunk how much it weighs. I keep a good supply of wood in different weights and sizes on hand. That way there's no guessing which can lead to less than appealing tastes in your meat. In the SI more wood doesn't necessarily mean better. In many cases it causes bitterness.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:33:34 PM »
Most of the double-filets from smokinlicious are still a little too thick to fit in the smoke box, and need to be split down to smaller sizes. I have an old dull chisel, and in combination with a hammer, I find it works better than a hatchet. Because the chisel is dull, it acts more like a wedge, and splits the wood chunk with more control.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

slojoe

• Retired and lovin it
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
As to how much.......it don't take much in the SI's, I did ribs yesterday using 6oz and that was too much I thing, wasn't bitter, but strong (hickory), I'd go with 4oz for ribs, 6 maybe for butts and 8 for brisket
Joe, Smokin on #2, Navy Vet., Life NRA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:58:17 PM »
This should help with how much wood, Mark:

Guide To Smoking Times, Temperatures and Wood
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!