Author Topic: 1st Brisket in 3D  (Read 2459 times)

Milan

1st Brisket in 3D
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »
NOTES: The point was excellent, but the flat was too dry. Good flavor, but dry

BRISKET SOURCE: Costco Prime Brisket - 17.2 pounds
SMOKER: Smokin-It 3D program B1 for Brisket
SCHEDULE: Smoke until internal meat temp = 195, then set smoker to 140F for 4 hours
WOOD: 6.125 oz read oak
RUB: Salt and Pepper

START 10:10 pm Friday night
Meat probe in flat
Fat side down
*note make user meat does not touch the probe in the back of the smoker
END - not known, had to run errands when internal temp was 190F approximately 11 AM Sat, about 13 hours

TEMP: rock solid at 225F every time I checked

NEXT TIME:
*smoke fat side up, the bottom was tough. With Fat cap up next time, it will probably stay moist
*wrap brisket after 195F. Left in the smoker probably dried it out.
*there’s room for more smoke

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 1st Brisket in 3D
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Milan,
Next, next time try fat cap down with some fat cap trimmings on the upside.  It worked real well for me keeping both the point and flat moist. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:26:04 PM »
Milan, I'm a fat cap down guy...helps shield the bare side from the heat below.  Now, what probably dried it out was how you did your hold, not the length of time.  If you are not going to be there to remove the meat, and cool-down the smoker, before holding at 140, you can't let it get to target temp.  These smokers are tight, and well-insulated, so it takes a long time for a closed-door unit to cool from 225 to 140!  I mean a LONG time.  You continued cooking well past your target.

My thoughts on holds:  It's best to be there when the meat finishes, for best results.  Remove the meat, double-wrap in HD foil, while the door remains open to cool down.  Once it's below 140, put the meat back in and set it.  It can sit in there, wrapped, darn near indefinitely.

If you can't be home when the meat finishes:  Program your target temp at least 10° below your target temp, then the hold.  Since it won't be wrapped, it will continue cooking.  Even if your brisket only rises another 5°, to 190, it will be great after a long hold. 

Holding, in the smoker, is a great tool, but you have to be in control of it to get the best results.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
Perhaps in the next model a co2 line can be added for rapid cooling to 140!   :)
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »
I'll pass that idea on, Gordo! ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »
Great idea Gordo! Maybe have 2 settings: cool to 140 and the other for instal-freeze. That way you don't loose any moisture!  :o
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN