Author Topic: Brisket with DM's Injection Recipe  (Read 6183 times)

Glock_21

Brisket with DM's Injection Recipe
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:41 AM »

There's a 14 lb brisket in the fridge just waiting to go into the #3 later this evening.  I mixed up a batch of Tony's injection recipe and shot the brisket full last night.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

RG

Re: Brisket with DM's Injection Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
Can't wait to see this unfold! Gonna be good, I can feel it :)
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
Hope you like it, Travis!  Give it the 15-30 minute Morton TenderQuick treatment before applying rub, and you'll get a cool smoke ring! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:50:14 PM »
Good call on the TenderQuick.  I've been meaning to try that too.

15 more min then rinse, rub, and load it into the SI.

I also have a 2.5 lb salmon fillet and a slab of ribs.  Those will go on the pellet grill tomorrow. 

Should be a good spread. 
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

Glock_21

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »
Lock and Load.......

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:04:49 PM by Glock_21 »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
Travis???? The anticipation is killing me!  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:56 PM »
Hope you like it, Travis!  Give it the 15-30 minute Morton TenderQuick treatment before applying rub, and you'll get a cool smoke ring! 8)

DM, are you recommending the 15-30 minute TQ (rather than the 6-8 hour) these days?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »

DM, are you recommending the 15-30 minute TQ (rather than the 6-8 hour) these days?

I knew he was short on time - last minute call!  Apparently, it works either way, so I figured he might as well try 15-30 minutes, just for fun! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »

I knew he was short on time - last minute call!  Apparently, it works either way, so I figured he might as well try 15-30 minutes, just for fun! ;)

Haha! I think anywhere between 15 minutes and 6 hours is worth a try!
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Glock_21

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 01:07:32 AM »
Here was the final result.  The flat ended up just a little dry for my liking (my own fault) but it was very tender and very tasty.  This was my first attempt at a faux smoke ring.  I got a little bit.  I used just under 2 tablespoons of TenderQuick and let it sit for around 30 min.  Next time I will give it more time to work. 

I meant to get a finished pic of the salmon, but they tore into it as soon as I brought it in.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:11:12 AM by Glock_21 »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »
Travis, you could have taken a picture with pieces of fish hanging out of their mouth.  ;D Sometimes you just can't wait for the money shots to happen.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
Smoke ring looks good to me.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Glock_21

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »
Travis, you could have taken a picture with pieces of fish hanging out of their mouth.  ;D Sometimes you just can't wait for the money shots to happen.

LOL

I had a house full of hungry people.  They weren't interested in waiting for me to take food selfies.  They were like, "slice that stuff up and let's eat"!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »
The brisket looks great, Travis, and so does the faux ring!  Did you like the flavor of the injection?  And, what temp did you smoke it to?  You said a little dry, due to your own fault; what was that?
Tony from NW Arkansas

Glock_21

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »

I loved the injection flavor.  I will definitely use that again.

Work got in the way of my normal process for brisket.  I usually move the brisket to a pan around 180-185 and let it finish in the pan lightly covered in foil.  I was at work when it hit that temp and wasn't able to do that step until later in the cook.

I also think the "rest" time was too short. 

When it hits 195-200 I will go move the temp probe around to see how tender it is.  Sometimes I will pull it at that point, other times I will let it cook a little more.

I hindsight I probably should have pulled this one earlier and let it rest longer.  Lessons learned.