Author Topic: nmber 2 can't get to heat  (Read 5602 times)

Smoken

Re: nmber 2 can't get to heat
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
Tom, I don't see an issue with placement, if you did 2 half-racks per shelf (that's how I do them, flat, bone-side down); plenty of room for airflow around them.  I just wanted to make sure you weren't jamming them side-to-side, with no space.

How old is your SI 2?  190, if your temp probe was accurate, is below where the bottom of the temp swing should be at 250.  As I'm sure you know, the stock controller will not hold 250 precisely, but will "average-out" to the set temp.  How long did you cook this batch?

Also, I notice you said you use the 3-2-1 method.  My honest opinion is this is part of your problem.  First of all, you have to do a lot of door opening to get all that wrapping & unwrapping done.  Secondly, this is why you're getting soggy bark!  Next time you do ribs, try the "no peeky" method that so many of us use.  All that wrapping just isn't necessary in the SIs because they hold/retain moisture so well.  Put in a water pan, ribs, wood, close the door and set the temp...then don't open that door for at least 4.5 hours!  3 racks of back ribs usually take me around 5:15 - 5:45, depending on when they finish to my liking. 

I would do a batch of ribs, like that, and see what your temp does.  Also, if you have an older SI 2, upgrading to the 800w element is a good thing.
Great info I'm seasoning my SI2 as I'm typing the ribs are going in tomorrow Thanks
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:05:42 PM by Smoken »
Joe-St Louis Mo.
Smokin-It #2