Author Topic: Prime grade bone in ribeye  (Read 2131 times)

Tom

Prime grade bone in ribeye
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:10:07 PM »
My Costco doesn't have the prime grade brisket  (or any brisket for that matter ), but they do carry prime grade tri tip and also ribeyes.  They had a $10 off instant rebate that brought these 2 inch beauties down to $11.64 a pound.

I've only cooked one so far, dusted with Tatonka Dust and sous vide cooked for 3 hours at 135. Then pan seared in duck fat.

I love the flavor of the Tatonka Dust but I'm really, really turned off by the black sooty color. I think I might try to make my own without the activated charcoal it contains.

Still, turned out pretty delicious.

Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Prime grade bone in ribeye
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »
Looks good to me. Although I am a big fan of a very hot grill for steaks.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
I agree, Dave!  Sous Vide makes an absolutely beautiful steak, but I and the family all agree that steaks I grill, start to finish, are better.  SV changes the texture, and just doesn't have that grilled steak flavor infused into the meat!  I can cook one pink, edge to edge, so I don't see the advantage of SV for steak (at least for me).

Tom - not trying to disparage SV steaks!  They are very tasty, and do come out "perfect" every time.  I was just simply pointing out the difference in texture and taste.  I guess it's all about what you are used to!  The bone-in ribeyes are beautiful!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tom

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »
I certainly don't mind the set it and forget it nature of a sous vide, I can go and do something else and trust that my proteins won't overcook.

I've gotta do some google'ing, but I faintly recall that Worcestershire sauce powder is easier to come by than soy sauce powder.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide