Author Topic: 2nd Smoke - St. Louis Ribs  (Read 3128 times)

Lucasiowa76

• Adam Lucas
2nd Smoke - St. Louis Ribs
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
For my second smoke, I smoked St. Louis ribs I bought unseasoned from CostCo. Traditionally, for years my approach has been to bake my ribs in the oven at 250 for 4-5hrs in a roasting pan or Dutch Oven and my results have always been consistent.  Smoking ribs for the first was a bit un-nerving, however, the results were fantastic and as were the comments of my Easter company today. 

I seasoned my ribs with garlic salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, & black pepper after removing the membrane and wrapped them in press 'n seal and aluminum foil and refrigerated them for roughly 32 hours.  For wood, I used 2 blocks of Black Cherry and 1 Hickory (total 2.6 oz).  I used a half a can of water (using a small Sweetened Condensed Milk can) and set the gauge at 235 degrees.   To monitor the internal temperature of my #1, I have a new ThermoPro Dual Probe wireless thermometer.  I placed the thermometer probe on a clip at the back of the smoker, near the smoker sensor.  All three racks were covered with the ribs, but not stacked on each other. 

What became a little stressful for me, (ok a lot stressful knowing I was having Easter company coming over), was that my thermometer for the first 3 hours was holding at 186 degrees.  I wondered if it was due to the amount of meat I had in the smoker or if it was my thermometer, since it was my first attempt at using the thermometer. I decided that since I was seeing a consistent amount of smoke coming out, I needed to just trust that the smoker was doing it's job, convincing myself that I was not going to open the smoker until at least 5 hours had passed.  When I opened my smoker, I was more than pleased and relieved.

Results:  The ribs on the bottom rack looked a little more done than the middle and the top racks.  I moved the bottom ribs into an aluminum pan and lightly brushed some of my homemade BBQ sauce on them and put them back in the smoker for 15 minutes on the top rack.  I also moved the ribs on the top rack to the bottom for that same 15 minutes.  All the ribs came out juicy, not too smokey, and delicious, pulling right off the bone.  One additional observation was that in the last 30-45 minutes, the temperature on my thermometer went from 190 to 210, which was also during the period when I opened the smoker and moved the ribs from the top to the bottom.  My guess is due to the amount of meat I had in my #1, there may not have been enough circulation to allow the temp to increase.  Lesson learned, if in fact that was my issue.

All in all, I was very pleased with my first experience smoking ribs and I look forward to many more....I think my company thinks so too.
Adam Lucas
Newbie Smoker
Iowa

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2nd Smoke - St. Louis Ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
The ribs look great, Adam!  Congrats, on your first rib smoke!! 8)   Now that you know your smoker gets it done, as planned, don't worry about that box temp!  Load it up, set the dial, and monitor the meat temp (if necessary), and trust your smoker! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
Trust the smoker on ribs.  Esp with people coming over leave time to set and rest.  Less stress.

Don't expect a chime bing to go off to serve.   

Looks good!
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:39:52 AM »
Looking good Adam!
Confidence comes with experience.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

drains

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
Great job on the ribs Adam!  Hope you have many many more.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 03:18:57 PM »
Great inaugural smoke.  Congratulations!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus