Author Topic: Temp holding low  (Read 2523 times)

Lucasiowa76

• Adam Lucas
Temp holding low
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »
I am smoking st. louis style ribs and have the temp gauge of my #1 at 235.  I have a ThermoPro Dual Probe wireless thermometer that I am using.  I placed the thermometer probe on a clip at the back of the smoker near the smoker sensor.  All three racks are covered with the ribs, but not stacked on each other.  After 3 hrs the thermometer is holding at 186.  Could this be because of the amount of meat I have in the smoker? Could it be my thermometer?  This is my first attempt at using the thermometer.  I also have a small can of water (the can is have the size of a soup can and is only half full of water) on the floor of the smoker next to the smoke box.

Thanks for the help.

Adam Lucas
Newbie Smoker
Iowa

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Temp holding low
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:04:22 PM »
Adam, are your ribs done now?  If so, how long did they take?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Lucasiowa76

• Adam Lucas
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »
Yep, I checked them at the 5 hrs mark and they were done.  I will post a full review of my results shortly.  I can definitely say that your consistent advice of trusting the smoker to do it's job what I needed to do. 
Adam Lucas
Newbie Smoker
Iowa

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Adam, I've learned that if the smoker finishes meat in what should be a "reasonable" time, it's working fine.  You'll be amazed at what different readings you can get, just from probe placement!  I stopped probing for box temp after the first time I had the experience you described here! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bhammars

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
Do you recall what the internal temp of the smoker was after 5 hours when you pulled the ribs out?  I seem to be having a similar issue.  Also, what quantity of did you have in the smoker?
Brian from MN