Author Topic: Hawaiian Luau - Ideas Needed  (Read 2970 times)

RG

Hawaiian Luau - Ideas Needed
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
This summer I am going to have a little shindig at the RG Ranch. I already know what I am cooking as far as the meat goes. Pulled Pork Hawaiian Sliders on King's Hawaiian Bread with Pineapple Relish as well as Huli Huli Chicken. What I need help with is sides and Cocktails.

I am thinking about some type of rice to serve with the chicken, maybe a fried rice. What else would go with it? I was thinking plantains but there is already going to be a lot of sweet in this meal, I need more savory. Maybe some beans or something. Like I said, I need help :)

As for cocktails, Mai Tais and Pina Coladas? I have a frozen drink maker (Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker) so I can make a variety. I need some umbrellas to put in the drinks, lol.

I plan on making this fun for kids and adults and will have the pool going and the tiki torches and fire pit lit and do some night swimming with a little Hawaiian music maybe. I am going to find some cheap decorations, little Tiki heads and grass skirts to put on serving tables. It should be fun. I am notorious for planning WAY ahead of time, this is no exception as this will most likely happen in June. I am meticulous, it's a sickness :P
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Hawaiian Luau - Ideas Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
For the rice dish, how about a paella or jambalaya dish?   
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:33:30 PM »
Ever eat at Texas Roadhouse?

The Armadillo Punch is one of my favorite party drinks to make.

https://www.texasroadhouse.com/menu/ice-cold-beverages
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:46 PM »
How about Jason in a hula skirt?  Now THAT would even top Wik's snow-bathing pic! ;D ;D ;D (Inside joke for those who've been around awhile ;) .)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:16:20 PM »
I don't know exactly how they make their Kaluha Pork (or however you spell it).  But when I'm in Hawaii, I can't seem to get enough of it.  I was told by a Hawaiian friend that they wrap the pig in leaves and bury it on top of coals.  I would love to learn how to make it here.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

RG

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
I don't know exactly how they make their Kaluha Pork (or however you spell it).  But when I'm in Hawaii, I can't seem to get enough of it.  I was told by a Hawaiian friend that they wrap the pig in leaves and bury it on top of coals.  I would love to learn how to make it here.
Yep, they salt the pig with Alea salt, wrap it in Ti leaves, bury it in the sand on top of hot coals and rocks. Dig it up and chow down!

How about Jason in a hula skirt?  Now THAT would even top Wik's snow-bathing pic! ;D ;D ;D (Inside joke for those who've been around awhile ;) .)

Uh....NO! LOL, I don't want to make y'all vomit :P
Jason from Conyers GA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 12:25:10 AM »
I just got back from Maui last week. At our Luau I tried Poi and liked it. There were all kinds of choices at the Luau. I enjoyed Mai Tai's and Blue Hawaiin drinks. I loved the Kaluha pork the best but they also had some good fish. Make your Luau look something like the pics I'm attaching and everyone will surely be happy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:39:41 AM by TmanEater »
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
Looks like a great trip, T-Man!  At least you got back in time for the Spring snow storm! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
Yeah... I get tired of snow and really don't like cold weather much. Not sure what I'm still doing living here in the midwest. I'm sure if I was living in paradise I'd complain about other things like traffic, jobs, cost of living, etc...
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA