Author Topic: Demo Video for D's?  (Read 10610 times)

JackT

Demo Video for D's?
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
Seems there have been a number of posts with questions and confusion regarding the PID programming for the D's, whether it be the 2D, 3D or 4D. While someone always is ready with an answer and suggestions, what might come in handy would be a demonstration video. Multiple programming scenarios could be demonstrated and it would cost virtually nothing to create, other than a little time. Whether it be done my Steve and posted here at Smokin It, or one of the other SI experts and placed on YouTube wouldn't matter as much as just being available for those learning the ropes, or even for those considering their new purchase. Just a suggestion.......
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Demo Video for D's?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
+1

With all the questions asked, it might turn off some buyers.   It seems the ones that love it, love it, but some have learning curve getting going which could be a turnoff. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
Great suggestion, Jack.  I'm not skilled in video making, but I'm sure someone here is!  Any Auber, or D-model owners, who are skilled in the operations and video making, up to the challenge??  A standalone GPH model Auber will work, as they function the same.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:48:33 PM »
Seems there have been a number of posts with questions and confusion regarding the PID programming for the D's, whether it be the 2D, 3D or 4D. While someone always is ready with an answer and suggestions, what might come in handy would be a demonstration video. Multiple programming scenarios could be demonstrated and it would cost virtually nothing to create, other than a little time. Whether it be done my Steve and posted here at Smokin It, or one of the other SI experts and placed on YouTube wouldn't matter as much as just being available for those learning the ropes, or even for those considering their new purchase. Just a suggestion.......

I totally agree, Jack.  I bought my 2D within a week or so after they were available.  I had a written description; then talked to Steve; and moved on faith.  A video would have been extremely helpful.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

joc6820

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Great idea, can't come soon enough.  This is not an intuitive interface.  Always leaves you guessing if you did it right.  I'm just trying to master temp and time.  I'd like to get to other features but not yet.  Not sure what the "H" is in the right side display, and that's the funniest looking "t" I've ever seen.  I know, keep pressing set......

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
I have the simple "dial" on my #1... but I have to say, I HAVE noticed the large numbers of posts with questions since the "D"s came out. Can't help em, but either there needs to be better/easier instructions or a comprehensive video.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JackT

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »
Great idea, can't come soon enough.  This is not an intuitive interface.  Always leaves you guessing if you did it right.  I'm just trying to master temp and time.  I'd like to get to other features but not yet.  Not sure what the "H" is in the right side display, and that's the funniest looking "t" I've ever seen.  I know, keep pressing set......
The "H" is a temp sensor alarm. This is normal if you're cooking for temp and time and don't have your internal meat temp probe attached. Just push the "time" button and the "H" will change to your time. Hope that helps.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

joc6820

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
That does help, thanks.  It's also a good illustration of why a video or easy to understand user manual is needed.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
Agree!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

JackT

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »
That does help, thanks.  It's also a good illustration of why a video or easy to understand user manual is needed.

With the few replies that are posted thus far into this thread, it's clear that a video would serve many purposes. First and foremost, it would show, in an observable way, just how to walk through the steps of setting up a simple program. From a college-educated perspective, the current instructions can be confusing and really shouldn't be (I probably partied too much in school!). Future PID controllers should incorporate a "programming for dummies" interface that eliminates confusion......(but that's for another day). Secondly, it's really not that difficult to program once you've played with it and understand the "triggers". Many posts have demonstrated that potential buyers are "scared" or "confused" as to whether to purchase one of the "D's", but a video demonstrating the steps of programming could nip that in the bud. From my point of view, I'm glad that I purchased the 3D. Several times in the beginning however, I caught myself going back and reprograming my target times and temps. So for my 2-cents, if a good video walked users and potential buyers through the steps they need to know, there would be only winners and no losers. Happy smoking!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
Dang.  Guess I'm gonna have to brush-up on video making, now!  Too bad I have a face made for radio! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:26:22 AM »
Dang.  Guess I'm gonna have to brush-up on video making, now!  Too bad I have a face made for radio! :o

I assume it would be mostly closeups on your hands anyway. Like George from Seinfeld when he was a hand model. Don't forget to make an appointment for a manicure before you make the video! I get really distracted when I watch a video of hands with crusty cuticles and dirty nails (not to say you have those).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Edward

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »
I can record HD video & post online if there is anyone else near the Chicagoland area that knows how to use it better than me. You do the demo & I record & post it. I have been having issues with mine holding temp after several autotunes so I still don't have enough whiskers to make a video but willing to help if anyone else is close enough.
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
Add me to the list of people who would dearly love to have a 3D, but am hesitating because I am totally confused by the technical talk/jargon and the myriad of questions I keep hearing about the auber.  Autotune? P, I, and D values? That mysteriously blinking H error message? A video would be immensely helpful to demystify the process and show me that the set part of "set it and forget it" will not cause my blood pressure to skyrocket.  But thanks for even talking about doing one.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 09:26:06 PM »
I am fairly new to the 3D having acquired it in FEB of this year. The controller is simple to use.  But the steps/programming can be intimidating.  I ALWAYS have the instructions open at the smoker and am up and running in just a minute or so. Tony helped me on my first two cooks and life is good. He helped develop what many of us are using and did a lot of testing of probe location and the like. Here is a cut and paste from what Tony has stated:

"The Auber controls are one of those things that feel like reading stereo instructions, until you actually start pushing buttons on the unit.  It's actually fairly intuitive, once you start.  The six "steps" of a program always have 3 parts:  Temperature, trigger, and desired result.  So:

C01    What box temp? (250 with the +/- buttons)
E01    What trigger?  Time or temperature of the meat?  (select "t" with the +/- buttons, as opposed to "F."
t01     How long?  (put 4.0 in the right window).

These three "ingredients" always make a program! "

I think a video would be helpful as a selling point to show some basic steps like ribs  (temp and time), butts and briskets (temp and int temp) etc.  For me the instructions work and a new manual is being worked on. I am hoping they will be very basic step by step, but the more I use the smoker the less I need to go to the instructions.  Really!  Still not intuitive but no longer intimidating. So for anyone considering a D model, go ahead and take the plunge.  You fell down more when learning to walk than you will using the PID.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus