Author Topic: Prime rib  (Read 6079 times)

NVW-SSV

Re: Prime rib
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 06:52:12 PM »
Dave, it's a packet of McCormick's Au Jus sauce, using beef broth instead of water, with flour added to thicken.  Worked out well.  Tasted outstanding, but not as PRETTY as the smokes above
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
Jody, I use McCormick's Au Jus, too.  I really like the flavor (as does the fam), and it's MSG-free.  I also use beef broth, instead of water, but don't add much flour.  I have, but we prefer it thin, not like gravy.  Same taste, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 12:49:49 PM »
I am not an aujus guy but whatever you like. I make an aolia out of horseradish.

I am making 2 more tomorrow for my sisters bday. I basically followed the same recipe as last time but I added chopped garlic to the top and pushed it in to the cross cuts to get it close to the meat on one and the other I did the same but also added horseradish.  Really looking forward to it.

I am doing (1) 6lb 10oz 4 bone and a 3lb 9oz 2 bone.  Figure start smoking the big one around 0800 and throw the second in around 1000hrs. They should both be finished by 2 and have dinner around 1430 1500.  Any suggestions on cooking times or do you think my estimates are correct?
Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »
Kevin, I would start them at the same time.  That way, you are starting with cold meat in a cold smoker, and will only have to open the door to remove the smaller one.  If you only have one thermometer, monitor the temp on the smaller one, and remove it when it hits 128.  Transfer probe to the larger one, then double-wrap the small one in HD foil, and cover with towels in an empty cooler.  It will keep fine until the larger one is done.  Then, you can sear them both and serve!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 03:27:53 PM »
OK I'll do that then. Thank you
Kevin
Lacey NJ