Author Topic: cutting brisket to fit my #2  (Read 3703 times)

Piglatin

cutting brisket to fit my #2
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:34:54 AM »
I picked up a nice 13 lb brisket.  It won't fit into my #2 (even when I try to fold it) so I need to cut it in half.  What's the best way to cut it up?  Can I just cut it straight into two pieces or should I try to separate the point from the flat somehow?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: cutting brisket to fit my #2
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
My previous smoker was on the small side and I had to cut full packer briskets in half.  My formula for success was to cut it in half right behind the point.  I had a thick section that consisted of point and flat and then a pure flat section.  I probed them separately and pulled them out individually as each reached my desired IT.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Piglatin

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »
thanks Dave

that's what I'm gonna do.  I was a bit concerned about allowing the juices to escape during cooking by cutting it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »
I did the same as Dave, but make sure you put the thick end on the lower shelf.  It will help shield the flat end from cooking so fast, and they'll come out more even.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cc1790

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
Additional question, if you cut them in two, and cook at 225, about how long can you expect it to cook before it reaches 195 internal meat temp.  I was reading that a whole packer could take between 16 to 20 hours, will this cook faster now that it's in 2 pieces?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »
Additional question, if you cut them in two, and cook at 225, about how long can you expect it to cook before it reaches 195 internal meat temp.  I was reading that a whole packer could take between 16 to 20 hours, will this cook faster now that it's in 2 pieces?

Yes, it will cook faster.  A 13 lb packer, cut into 2 6.5 lb halves, should take around 7-9 hours total.  Whenever you smoke multiple pieces, base your timing on the largest one, not the combined weight.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cc1790

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
Thanks, greatly appreciated!