Author Topic: Brisket taking to long  (Read 3829 times)

74redone

Brisket taking to long
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
Hi guys! I have a SI2 with the Auber system which has the permanent mounted probe. I started a 7 lbs flat brisket this morning at 7 am planning on eating at 4:30-5. Which a 7 lbs should only take about 7-8 hrs right? Well it's been on for 8 hrs and its still only to 162. Is there something wrong with my settings? Is there something wrong with my smoker? It seems like it always takes longer than what it should. My Auber settings are- CO1-225 CO2-140 EO1-F EO2-T FO1-195 tO2-4.0. Thanks for any input!
S2 and stand

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Brisket taking to long
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »
Doesn't sound too long to me. I always plan on 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. That's what mine always seem to take at 225 anyway. Then you need to allow for a couple hours resting if you want it to be really moist and tender.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
74, your settings look OK.  Gregg's right, especially on smaller cuts (believe it or not, 7 lbs is right on the line of a "small" cut).  I tried to smoke a 4 lb corned beef flat one time, an it took 11 hours!!

I never smoke flats, so I'm no expert on timing for them.  With full packers, I normally see 1 - 1.5 hrs/pound.  Always allow on the high side of time; you can always rest it in the cooler, double-wrapped in HD foil, with towels covering it.

Are you using any drip pans in the smoker?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

74redone

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
Yes I am using a loaf pan with water to help keep the moisture up. Is there something other than water you use?
S2 and stand

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
74, your settings look OK.  Gregg's right, especially on smaller cuts (believe it or not, 7 lbs is right on the line of a "small" cut).  I tried to smoke a 4 lb corned beef flat one time, an it took 11 hours!!

I never smoke flats, so I'm no expert on timing for them.  With full packers, I normally see 1 - 1.5 hrs/pound.  Always allow on the high side of time; you can always rest it in the cooler, double-wrapped in HD foil, with towels covering it.

Are you using any drip pans in the smoker?

Is your drip pan on the floor of the smoker next to the wood box? Or is it on a rack above the wood box? And Tony, did Gregg comment on this post? LOL
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

74redone

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:36:44 PM »
It's on the grate above it. Is this a problem?
S2 and stand

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
It's on the grate above it. Is this a problem?

Yeah. Your loaf pan should be sitting on the floor of the smoker, snugged right up against the side of the smoke box. Anything directly above the smoke box will act as a heat sink, and block the heat from the meat, directing the heat around the outside, and up through the top of the smoker, causing your smoking time to be much longer than what you see typical times to be on this forum. Your meat should be fine as long as you let it get up to temp, but it will take much longer. Unless you really need to capture the drippings, the meat should be placed directly on a rack, with no pans on racks below.

Either way, I still think 1 hour per pound is not enough time, so I think your brisket is not taking too long.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:44:49 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »
He he. Thanks for the credit Tony, even though undeserved on this one. :P

Kari, I think you nailed the problem and I would have posted the same.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:30:09 PM »
 :-[ Sorry, Kari....  Been a busy day, and I boo-boo'd!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

74redone

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks guys! Now that you explained it it makes perfect sense. I just told my wife I need to smoke something now! Lol
S2 and stand

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 12:39:18 AM »
:-[ Sorry, Kari....  Been a busy day, and I boo-boo'd!

It's an honor to be mixed up with Gregg. He's a smart guy!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide