Author Topic: Venison "Stick-a-palooza 2016"  (Read 5842 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Venison "Stick-a-palooza 2016"
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
The first 56lbs of our 196lbs of Venison Snack Sticks for the year are done. We have 5 more 28lb batches to do yet. We'll probably do another 2-3 batches over Easter if the girls will let us (they don't like is messing up the kitchen  ::)).

The pictures may look the same as what I have posted before, but I promise they are different. We have a process down that doesn't change much. Stuff and hang the night before and then smoke the next day.

We used to use my #3 and my Dad's big propane smoker. But the sticks turn out so much better in my SI that we don't even bother digging "Old Blackie" out anymore.

I have been on a high protein diet and having these sticks for snacks has been awesome.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:39:23 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Venison Snack Sticks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
It's a thing of beauty, Gregg!  I look forward to your "Stick-a-palooza" smoke every year! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Venison "Stick-a-palooza 2016"
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
I like that name. My annual snack stick post henceforth will be called "Stick-a-palooza". :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »
I like that name. My annual snack stick post henceforth will be called "Stick-a-palooza". :)

I'm honored! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
How much is a lb shipped to my zip code:)

Well done!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »

Well done!

X2!! And I'm dead serious! ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »
The first 56lbs of our 196lbs of Venison Snack Sticks for the year are done. We have 5 more 28lb batches to do yet. We'll probably do another 2-3 batches over Easter if the girls will let us (they don't like is messing up the kitchen  ::)).

The pictures may look the same as what I have posted before, but I promise they are different. We have a process down that doesn't change much. Stuff and hang the night before and then smoke the next day.

We used to use my #3 and my Dad's big propane smoker. But the sticks turn out so much better in my SI that we don't even bother digging "Old Blackie" out anymore.

I have been on a high protein diet and having these sticks for snacks has been awesome.

Gregg, those look great! I made a 5 lb batch a few weeks ago using Willie's Snack Stick seasoning instead of the Pepper Stick that turned out awesome. Are you using a 21 mm casing? I used a 17 mm casing and liked the slightly smaller casing better than the 21 mm size.

Jimmy

Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »

Well done!

X2!! And I'm dead serious! ;)

3!!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

kt29

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 01:00:22 AM »
Some great looking venison snack stix. My son and I have made twenty pounds so far, all with varying recipes. All good so far and also another fifty pounds of various venison blended sausages.  Smokers have sure come along ways from my days of growing up in North Dakota.  Very nice to see all your pictures.  Well done.
Terry from North Idaho

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 01:26:47 AM »

Gregg, those look great! I made a 5 lb batch a few weeks ago using Willie's Snack Stick seasoning instead of the Pepper Stick that turned out awesome. Are you using a 21 mm casing? I used a 17 mm casing and liked the slightly smaller casing better than the 21 mm size.

Jimmy

Yeah, we used 21MM. The smaller ones would not work in my 15lb stuffer.

I have made extruded jerky with my jerky cannon that were smaller and I like them though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
Man Greg, those look nice.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »
Thanks guys! Sorry, by the time we split these sticks between my Dad and Brother we don't have as much as you think, but if any of you ever get to Fargo, ND let me know and I will be happy to share a few over some beers. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
Thanks guys! Sorry, by the time we split these sticks between my Dad and Brother we don't have as much as you think, but if any of you ever get to Fargo, ND let me know and I will be happy to share a few over some beers. :)

:( Unfortunately, the odds of me getting to Fargo are roughly the same as waking up tomorrow with a full head of thick hair. :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 09:16:42 PM »
1300 miles and 21 hours from York PA.  Man that is up there on the map!

At least you are close to the border depending on what happens in Nov!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
Stick-a-Palooza Update

We made another 56lbs of sticks over Easter. Here are some more action pics for those that are interested:

Mixing in the seasoning/cure with 2 quarts of ice water into the 50lb mixer.

Mix it up so the seasoning is thoroughly mixed, but not too much. The more you mix, the stickier this stuff gets and is then harder to push through the stuffer.

Who needs a powered mixer, when you have sons. ;)

Stuffing the 21MM casings. We use a cookie sheet and spin the sausage as it comes out of the 15lb stuffer. As you can see this is a family affair with everyone having a job. More of my family in action in the next few pics. :)

I measure 40" on the counter and place masking tape markers that I use to cut the long ropes into 40" smaller ropes that wll later be cut in half to fit on the 20" shelves of the #3.

On to the Sausage Rack 1000 (my clever name for my sausage rack I designed/made) for an overnight rest to dry and allow the seasoning/cure to meld together.

After hanging in the garage overnight, it is time to cut the 40" sticks in half so that they fit on the 20" shelves of the #3. We fit between 10-11 sticks per shelf.

Gregg - Fargo, ND