Author Topic: Texas BBQ Crawl  (Read 12981 times)

RG

Re: Texas BBQ Crawl
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
Welp, I done did it! I have a 12-14 pound (hope it's a 14 pounder) on the way from Snake River Farms. I had a code for free shipping but it's still $139.00! I hope it's good!
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 08:13:09 PM »
Awesome travelogue, Jason!  I'm looking forward to hearing your review of the SRF briskie.  I don't mind paying that for a full ribeye (17 lbs, or so) that I'm going to dry-age for steaks, but would have a hard time for a medium brisket.  Must be good stuff!  Now, I've seen they have Kobe and Wagyu brisket...but that's crazy good.  Only had a Kobe beef steak one time in my life, at a Japanese steakhouse on Okinawa.  Quite possibly the best tasting steak I've ever had in my life!

Oh, and you say Franklin's is "stellar?"  It dang-well ought to be, at those prices! ;D ;D   It made him famous, so for us to try and duplicate it is like us amateur golfers trying to duplicate Tiger Woods (golf swing, that is).  He's "the man" for a reason! ;)   The fact that folks stand in line for 3-4 hours every day is just amazing, and tells why he gets the business he does!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
He claims that he breaks even on the brisket and makes his money on everything else. If he's buying Snake River Farms like it's said he does, then I can believe that he's probably right. The one I ordered is not even their best one. It is Wagyu but it's the "Black" one not the "Gold". Still higher than Prime and it's also not just what I've normally gotten which is Choice from Wally World as of late and before that Black Angus Choice from Restaurant Depot. This will be the best grade of beef I've ever cooked and it IS going into the #3 with some oak I just ordered ;)

I think I may even smoke a choice brisket on one of the Kegs just to compare. Y'all know I am weird like that, lol.
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Can't wait!  I will gladly live, vicariously, through you! :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2016, 09:51:46 PM »
Great pictures, thanks.    I have some "shed" sauce waiting to use, the few I tried we not too bad.

The line at Frankins, I guess I get the adventure, but man thats one hell of a wait for food.

I'd bet the locals don't wait there and have a pretty close 2nd:)

Well done!
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »
Great pictures, thanks.    I have some "shed" sauce waiting to use, the few I tried we not too bad.

The line at Frankins, I guess I get the adventure, but man thats one hell of a wait for food.

Well done!

One thing I learned is that you call ahead and have it ready to pick up, even before they open. You have to plan well ahead though to do so. As for the wait, it's not that bad actually. It sounds strange but it went by quickly. As for the locals waiting for it, they sure do! There may be other good brisket out there, no doubt there is but they still eat there and they do wait! I heard several conversations within ear shot and there were a lot of locals that make that their weekend event, lol. I heard some say that Wednesday and Thursday are the best days to come, not as busy as the rest of the week.
Jason from Conyers GA

Nimrod

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »

Well done!

John,
I raised two Longhorns :P and one still lives in Austin.  I'm no Franklins expert but have made the wait a few times and can say that a lot of locals do as well.  As you say, there are also many #2s but I think every one of them has their specialty and they all do Que just a tad different so some days you may want Coopers or Salt Lick or the meaty beef ribs at County Line and some days you really want Franklins or maybe you just want a margarita down at...well I digress.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps