Author Topic: Ribs.......something old and something new  (Read 4348 times)

RG

Ribs.......something old and something new
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »
I have 3 smokers going today. Why? Because I can :) I am doing 3 racks of baby backs. Two racks have my wife's standard rub that we use on butts and pork ribs, one rack on the Pit Boss Pellet Grill which will be done 3-2-1 method. The other rack on the #3 which will be the 5.5 no peeky, lol.

The other rack is on the Traeger. It's a new rub my wife is trying. Also involves a mop to be applied every hour or so I think. We'll see how it turns out. The rack in the SI as well as her "test" rack on the Traeger will be sauceless whereas the rack on the Pit Boss (3-2-1) will be my traditional Chipotle bbq sauce.

Pics and results later.......
Jason from Conyers GA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Ribs.......something old and something new
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »
This should be good.......
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
Man, y'all must feed an army!  Go big, or go home, as they say! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
Man, y'all must feed an army!  Go big, or go home, as they say! 8)

We just like to sample :) I bought a 3 pack of ribs and just decided to cook'em all and use it as an experiment to boot!

So.....I'll get the pics out of the way then tell of my findings. Not my best pics, none on the cookers but you get the gist of it all.

From left to right : Wet Ribs from the Pit Boss, Standard Dry Rub Ribs from SI3, Experimental Dry Rub/Mop Ribs from Traeger

The wet ribs were smoked 3 hours with apple pellets, wrapped with my special touches and back on for 2 hours, unwrapped and cooked for another hour(ish). Sauced several times in the last 15 or so minutes to build layers.

SI3 Ribs, 5.5 No Peeky, no wrap. Smoked at 225 for a little longer than 5.5 but close enough. Used a mini loaf pan full of water, smoked with 2oz Cherry

Traeger Dry Rub/Wet Mop ribs. Smoked as long as long as the others using apple pellets. Mopped every hour.

Here's what me and my test panel liked :)   (Mrs. RG and RG Jr.)

Tenderness : RG - Wet Ribs with SI very close 2nd, Mrs. RG - SI (she didn't eat Wet Ribs), RG Jr. - Wet and SI equal
Taste : RG - Wet Ribs, Mrs. RG - SI, RG Jr. - Experiment Ribs
Appearance : RG- Wet Ribs, Mrs. RG - Wet, RG Jr. - Don't know, he is not available for further interrogation :)

Notes and Clarifications - I am a wet rib guy. Always have been, always will be and I know what I got when I make them MY way. Damn good eats if I do say so myself ;) Now with that said, for a dry rib, the ones from the SI amazed me. I am not just saying that to pander either, I mean it! For a rib NOT wrapped, they were tender and moist. More than I would've guessed! The taste was excellent as well. Believe it or not, these were the first pork ribs I've done on the SI! I've done beef but never pork. I WILL do them again for sure. They were not the prettiest of the bunch but I can fix that with a little pre smoke tenderquick like I did on my last brisket but it's no big deal. For the sake of pictures, a smoke ring does help, we can all agree on that. The "experiment" ribs were not as moist as the others and a little too salty for me, that's why we always make rubs minus salt and add it separately so we can control the amount as we go. This was a recipe she found and followed it to the letter. If the salt were dialed back, I think it would be a keeper. Although not a standard tasting rib, it was unique and tasty. The mop added depth of flavor as well as a different orange hue due to the paprika in the mop.

Overall, as usual, the SI proves that it belongs in the arsenal! There is less of that rack left so that may indeed tell the tale of the overall winner ;)

Thanks for checking in!

Jason from Conyers GA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »
Looks great, I think the mopped ones (middle?) look best.  Cross between wet and dry.

Each his own, I like the lean toward dry look.  Like fried chicken wings! instead of sloppy.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »
All three look fantastic!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 10:07:21 PM »
Jason, those look like great eats. Who do you feed with all this food?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

RG

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 10:44:36 PM »
Looks great, I think the mopped ones (middle?) look best.  Cross between wet and dry.

Each his own, I like the lean toward dry look.  Like fried chicken wings! instead of sloppy.

From left to right is wet (obviously), SI middle, Mopped on right.
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 10:47:39 PM »
Jason, those look like great eats. Who do you feed with all this food?

Just the family :) My Daughter is vegan (shaking my head still) so it was 3 of us eating them. They didn't all get eaten but we put a good dent in them. These were true baby backs so they were little ribs, especially the wet rack.
Jason from Conyers GA

drains

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
They all look great! I wouldn't cull any of them. Good pics too! Nice job all around!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

RG

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
They all look great! I wouldn't cull any of them. Good pics too! Nice job all around!
Thank you as always ;) I never get tired of hearing it :P
Jason from Conyers GA