Author Topic: First food post - Pork Loin  (Read 2452 times)

Tom

First food post - Pork Loin
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:28:48 AM »
I thought my first post on a smoker forum would be something smoked, but alas, it's not here yet, but I did just finish prepping my first 10 pounds of bacon in anticipation of the 3D's arrival. I'll have to do a pork butt and wait a few days before I can move on to the bacon.

Anyways, here's a very easy recipe that I stumbled into blindly on my own. I have in the past been the type of cook that felt that the seasonings needed to be 8 or so ingredients and complexity meant 'balanced'. But this is nothing more than a 2 ingredient prep and it's actually better than any other non-smoked form of pork loin/tenderloin/chop etc that I've done.

This is about a 3 pound center cut pork loin, I sprinted about 2 T of Penzey's Pork Chop Seasoning into the bag, massaged it around well and baptized it for 2.5 hours at 140º with the Anova. Then in a pan, with a bit of oil or ghee, I do the finish sauté for color and texture with a generous splash of real maple syrup, constantly turning it as it caramelizes on the surface. The maple sweetness compliments the Penzeys salty, slightly smoky note. It doesn't need to get much more complicated that this.

Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Tom

Re: First food post - Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:31:37 AM »
And please ignore the tomato seeds :) I was making saganaki and heirloom tomatoes with a bit of Jamon Iberico just before!
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:14:42 PM »
Very nice, Tom!  Can't wait to see what you can do with your SI!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
 Nicely done Tom! The tomatoes look awesome! Still getting winter version in Colorado....  :(
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
Tomatoes look great right now. Going to be about 5 months before I get heirloom tomatoes from my garden here in Wisconsin.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide