Author Topic: Any experience with/opinions on Weston Advantage vacuum sealer  (Read 3110 times)

pax238

Any experience with/opinions on Weston Advantage vacuum sealer
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:21:28 PM »
I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with or opinions on the Weston (either Realtree or Professional) Advantage vacuum sealer? The model number of both starts with 65-0501- and is either RT or W after that hyphen.

http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-Professional-Advantage-Vacuum-Sealer-p/65-0501-w.htm

Quoting from that web site:

Features
Commercial quality vacuum pump with fan cooled motor for consistent, reliable sealing (Won't overheat!)
ETL certified
210 watt motor (120 volt, 60 Hz)
Draws 23" HG vacuum strength
Seals bags up to 11" wide

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:23:33 PM by pax238 »
Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

kz0m

• Carl
Re: Any experience with/opinions on Weston Advantage vacuum sealer
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:33:34 PM »
Hi Barry, yes. I have that exact model, love it!  works great, vacuums and seals really nice!
I have to confess though....I found a pro model on eBay, the 15" model for less than half price, a lucky find for the price and I'll be using that pro model moving forward.  nothing wrong with the first model, just wanted the one you can hold down the door with one hand.  I'll probably sell the other one ;-) but it works great!  I've sealed up a lot of pork, chicken and cheese in the last two months.
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

pax238

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:52:36 AM »
Hi Carl. Can I ask where you bought the Advantage vacuum sealer, and how much you paid? I'm looking at a site that has it on sale for $150 shipped.
Barry from CT

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:12 PM »
I found mine on eBay for $174 shipped, sounds like u found a good deal!
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

pax238

Barry from CT

pax238

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
I have now used this sealer around 6 times. While I had 1 bag fail (operator error, I think), it seems like a very solid, easy to use machine.

I posted this question in the Fish forum, but no answers, so I figured I would try here as well. I'm looking at smoking larger quantities, and wondering how long vacuum-sealed hot smoked salmon and cold smoked salmon will last in the refrigerator. At what point is it better to just freeze it?

And just to beat the first wise-cracker to it... I know the REAL answer is "Not long because you eat it so fast." ::)
Barry from CT