Author Topic: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?  (Read 17733 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:56:55 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 09:24:19 PM »
Anyone got one of these or something like it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PKGBMBA/ref=pd_luc_rh_mrairec_04_02_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little pricey, but a great idea!  I'm going to look for a cheaper alternative.  It's just a wire rack!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »
Anyone running the Rubbermaid version of the Cambro?  It's $10 cheaper with the lid and delivered!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 12:06:48 AM »
Anyone running the Rubbermaid version of the Cambro?  It's $10 cheaper with the lid and delivered!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's a good source for Cambro containers and lids.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/12sfscw/p1473305.aspx?selectedProduct=12SFSCW135
Lid sold separately.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/sfc12453/p331121.aspx
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/sfc12scpp190/p1357945.aspx

Looks like the lids are temporarily out of stock, but prices are better than Amazon.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:12:41 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 12:18:32 AM »
This is sold by Cambro... Is it the same thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Camwear-Polycarbonate-Square-Storage-container/dp/B0001MRUKA/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1466467389&sr=1-3&keywords=cambro+12+qt

CamWear® and Cambro are the same thing when it comes to food storage containers. (CamWear® is made by Cambro.)
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »

It'll work fine.  I almost bought this, but they were out (at the time, in the 12 qt), and I caught the Cambro on sale at FoodServiceWarehouse.com.  If I buy another (I'm considering a 16 qt for longer items), it will probably be the Rubbermaid.  The Cambros are very good quality, though, so I hope the Rubbermaid is as heavy-duty.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
Seems like the Cambro at Food Service Warehouse are less expensive than the Rubbermaid at Amazon. By my calculation, for the 12 quart clear container and lid:
FSW Cambro: about $20 with shipping
Amazon Rubbermaid: about $30 with shipping
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 11:55:47 PM »
Hmmm... The number I saw were about opposite. But nevertheless, I plan on stopping by one of the many restaurant supply stores in Houston this week.  They generally have the lowest prices.

I am curious what vacuum sealer pouches people are using for sous vide that are compatible with food saver?  I used a couple pouches and a couple bags I made from a roll the other day. It worked out but I'm worried that on a 3 day cook, that seal won't hold.
The Woodlands, Texas

Durangosmoker

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »
My homemade bags held up fine for a 3 or 4 day cook, but if you are nervous, you could always double seal them. I use VacMaster VacStrip rolls and cut to size.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
I have a VacMaster sealer, which has a nice wide seal, and I double seal for sous vide. I also use VacMaster bags. Foodsavers have a narrower seal if I recall, so I would triple seal. It probably has to do more with the quality of the seal than the bag itself. It should work fine.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
Unfortunately, I have one of those "stand up" models of the food saver, which at about $180 was not worth it in my opinion.  I can't double seal with it.  The sealing action is automatic or I can push the button to seal but the bag has to be inserted into the slot a specific length for the sealing action to come on.  Very frustrating but it was my first vacuum sealer and I didn't know what to look for in a sealer.

Which models of vacmaster's do ya'll have and how well do you like them?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 04:44:31 PM »
When I double seal, I put the bag as far into the machine as I can, then vac seal. Then I pull the bag out a little bit, then hit the "seal only".

The FoodSavers are probably overpriced, but many people on this forum use them and have fine luck with them. I have a VacMaster Pro140. The model is no longer available. It is similar to their Pro110, but more powerful. The Pro140 retailed for about $150, but I got it when they were selling out of the model on sale for $79. I don't think the Pro110 would be an upgrade from your FoodSaver. And the next higher model VacMaster is about $300. You might want to get suggestions from people who have Westons. My dream would be to get a chamber sealer, so I could seal liquids. But they start around $600-$700 for a basic model.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Great price but check the description.

Missing Seal Bar and Piston Pump
COSMETIC WEAR - REFER TO PICTURE FOR DETAILS
SOLD AS IS (REFER TO PICTURE)
The Woodlands, Texas