Author Topic: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?  (Read 17722 times)

johnnytex

Re: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
Got surprised last Saturday night with extra guests on a 4-Day Pot Roast.
Added a extra Chuck roast on Friday for a 1-Day Pot Roast.
It was done but not the wonderful fall apart tenderness of a 3 or 4 day.
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »
Tex, I would think 2 days would be the minimum on a chuck roast.  I know the corned beef briskets I've done for 48 hours are perfect, and chuck is about the same toughness.  The extra day or two just helps with the fat, I believe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:48 PM »
So how hot is the water from these things?  I'm wondering about plastic from the bags or the container leaching into the food. I wouldn't think it would take much heat for the plastic to start leaching?  Anyone ever looked into this issue?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
the bag I use for the foodsaver are rated 190f + so no prob there :) ( the 4 days roast is done at 131f)
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »
So how hot is the water from these things?  I'm wondering about plastic from the bags or the container leaching into the food. I wouldn't think it would take much heat for the plastic to start leaching?  Anyone ever looked into this issue?

The water is whatever temp you are cooking to.  Since most of the SV cooks involve meat, you're really not going to go above about 150.  A corned beef brisket, for 2 days at 145, is incredibly tender.  You can't take a tough cut, like that, and have it that tender in the smoker. 

The highest I've ever gone was corn, at 180.  The bags are not a problem, but the seal can be.  It is recommended that you triple-seal your bags, at higher temps.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TheLocNar

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
Anova Bluetooth here.

I've got a 12 qt cambro as well, with a flap cut out of the blue lid you can get for it. I store and cook in it in the laundry room sink that never gets used otherwise.

I have a VacMaster VP210 as well. No foodsaver for me since I make lots of soups/stocks/gravies as well and a chamber sealer is best for liquids and wet/moist foods.

The Bernzomatic 8000 torch works great for searing meats too. Sometimes I will use my Weber Genesis too. Just depends how lazy I'm feeling.

Hope you are able to give this method a try. It's great!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 12:58:48 AM »
Okay Gents, it's getting closer to Fathers Day. Before I send a link to my wife, I want to make sure there are no new models of the Anova. Here is the link I plan to send.

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-WiFi-Precision-Cooker-Black/dp/B01761T6V4?ie=UTF8&keywords=Anova%20sous&qid=1463978623&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Let me know your thoughts!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
That's the one to get. Since Father's day is a ways off, I would wait a while to order. They often have sales right before holidays like that. I think they had a sale before Mother's Day.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »
That's the one to get. Since Father's day is a ways off, I would wait a while to order. They often have sales right before holidays like that. I think they had a sale before Mother's Day.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
Also, keep an eye on the Anova site itself for sales. When I bought my WiFi model, it was $50 off on the Anova site (Amazon was more expensive).

https://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-wifi
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
I get emails from Anova, and think I posted the last sale.  I'll post the next one I see!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 09:09:45 PM »
Thanks Tony!  I'm looking forward to that 4 day chuck roast!
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »
Libo, even at full-price, the Anova is worth it.  I paid it, and don't regret it at all. :)
Tony from NW Arkansas

icebob

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 08:44:44 AM »
I like the Anova so much, I have 2 :). When I cook a 4 days roast, I have the other one avail...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

Anova WiFi Sous Vide